Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Speedtech Chicane vs Hybrid coilover

Hello, I'm looking into the Speedtech chicane and hybrid coilover systems for 2nd gen f bodies and was wondering what advantages come with the true coilover chicane kit vs the hybrid which retains the factory upper shock tower. any input is appreciated,thanks.

Country Flag: United States
      True coil overs (especially mono tube shock based units) require more length than what is available between the OE upper shock mount and lower control arm.
      So there are two ways to solve this issue:
      1-raise the upper shock mount (Chicane mount)
      2-lower the lower shock mount (ridetech lower control arms, for example)

True coil overs place all load (weight) on the two ends. The ends can be poly mounts or spherical bearings.

Hybrid coil overs are typically a twin-tube shock design which is more compact (shorter).
      Hybrid coil overs place the spring load on the shock body and the upper mount. This does cause some side loading of the shock shaft, which could result in premature seal failure. However, the units on the market seem to have decent life as I've not seen a ton of them leaking.

All have exactly the same amount of travel as the motion ratio never changed (technically it could change in the ridetech lower as they control the lower mounting point, which is the only way to change motion ratio).

The more important decision you should be considering is which type of shock do you want to use. Shocks are one of the most important parts of the suspension and control handling, NVH, ride quality, etc.

Excellent information, thanks. The ability to change the rebound and bump stiffness per driving conditions whether it be road or track is important, as well as ride height adjustments.

Complete transparency. . .I ran the engineering department for ridetech for a number of years. A few years ago I moved and no longer work there.
      I say that as I may sound biased to the ridetech parts. I am, but mainly because I made decisions when working there that I still make today when purchasing parts.

Here's my theory. For a street car increased shock compression (especially at low shaft speed) is an instant, but short lived, increase in spring rate. When you hit a bump the shock resists the force to compress. This can be enough force to push the car body up, causing a "harsh" feel. . .like the car has really high spring rates. This extra force only lasts a very short time, but can result in the aforementioned ride quality harshness.
      So the Ridetech/Fox shocks have very little compression damping.
      It is my belief that it is the springs job to soak up and slow down the compression forces. To do this properly the shock must move a certain amount. If it is too short the shock bottoms out and you definitely feel it in the car.

For street cars all the tuning was done using rebound. Let the spring soak up the bump, let the rebound slow down the spring and minimize the oscillations.

For autocross you want the ability to adjust both compression and rebound so you can change the "timing" of the car. However, this does create a more harsh ride quality.

Both options you are looking at have ride height adjustability.

Hopefully this points you in the right direction for researching which option is best for your car and pocket book.

Once again, great information. thank you. One thing I'm taking away from this which has become more prevalent is that longer shock/springs allow for ample stroke to perform there function to the best of there ability. With that mentioned I will go with true coil overs for the added length of the shock/spring system over hybrids.

You are correct, the shock needs enough stroke to not bottom out.
      You want roughly 5 inches of wheel travel. Most vehicles we deal with have a roughly 2:1 motion ratio. . .so the shock moves 1/2 the distance the tire moves. So theoretically you need a 2.5" stroke shock, minimum.
      Now, that being said, putting a 9 inch stroke shock in the car does not give you 18 inches of wheel travel. The ball joints will bind or you'll hit bumpstops long before that.

Most of the kits offered by todays companies have ample travel.
      I would say most of the people that have twin tube shocks or the hybrid's are happy with what they purchased, otherwise they wouldn't be as popular as they are.

You just need to look at the shock type and "true" coil over or hybrid. Personally I think the true coil over is a better option in the long run.
      I also believe that given the shocks offered in our market the monotube is the better option. That's not to say twin tubes cannot be good (even great). Just that the great twin tubes (Ohlins ILX or TTX for example) are not readily available in our market (and they are very spendy).

Quote Originally Posted by marolf101x View Post
      True coil overs (especially mono tube shock based units) require more length than what is available between the OE upper shock mount and lower control arm.
      So there are two ways to solve this issue:
      1-raise the upper shock mount (Chicane mount)
      2-lower the lower shock mount (ridetech lower control arms, for example)

True coil overs place all load (weight) on the two ends. The ends can be poly mounts or spherical bearings.

Hybrid coil overs are typically a twin-tube shock design which is more compact (shorter).
      Hybrid coil overs place the spring load on the shock body and the upper mount. This does cause some side loading of the shock shaft, which could result in premature seal failure. However, the units on the market seem to have decent life as I've not seen a ton of them leaking.

All have exactly the same amount of travel as the motion ratio never changed (technically it could change in the ridetech lower as they control the lower mounting point, which is the only way to change motion ratio).

The more important decision you should be considering is which type of shock do you want to use. Shocks are one of the most important parts of the suspension and control handling, NVH, ride quality, etc.
      Is there any inherent advantage or disadvantage to the ridetech method (lowering the pickup point via the LCA) vs the extended upper bracket (speedtech or global west)
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

No real advantage. It was just easier to do as the lower control arm was being replaced anyway and the upper mount was strong enough.
      It looks like the shock hangs quite low in some applications, but it’s close to, and moves with, the tire, so it never hits anything.

Thanks. I might lean that way for my 67.
      Quote Originally Posted by marolf101x View Post
      No real advantage. It was just easier to do as the lower control arm was being replaced anyway and the upper mount was strong enough.
      It looks like the shock hangs quite low in some applications, but it’s close to, and moves with, the tire, so it never hits anything.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

AMPZ28, I saw in another thread that you were trying to use the global west extended coil over mount with some Speedtech control arms, and afx spindles. Were you able to get this to work? I came across the global west mount a couple days ago and feel that it is a great and strong design. I am looking to order the Speedtech Street fighter kit soon for my 1978 Trans Am and would like to us the GW mount if possible.

Thank you

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com