Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

2nd Gen Camaro Mirrors for First Gen - OER vs Goodmark

Looking at mirrors for my 69, and found both Goodmark and OER sport mirrors which is the style I want to use. The Goodmark are about double the price of the OER. Interested in people's thoughts on the difference between the two.

If you are looking for a mirror that Eliminates the Blind spot on the passenger side, stays adjusted,
      looks like a stock mirror , has a 3 yr warranty,for your car there is only one mirror Clear Shot mirrors
      made & Patented by Morris Classic Concepts. They are more expensive than the mirrors you mentioned but are
      the better investment.You can tighten the ball & socket from the outside of the mirror if ever needed.
      Members get a 5% discount, order 3 points also that are year and car specific and get more of a discount.
      Thx, Billy, MCC

Quote Originally Posted by morrisclassic View Post
      If you are looking for a mirror that Eliminates the Blind spot on the passenger side, stays adjusted,
      looks like a stock mirror , has a 3 yr warranty,for your car there is only one mirror Clear Shot mirrors
      made & Patented by Morris Classic Concepts. They are more expensive than the mirrors you mentioned but are
      the better investment.You can tighten the ball & socket from the outside of the mirror if ever needed.
      Members get a 5% discount, order 3 points also that are year and car specific and get more of a discount.
      Thx, Billy, MCC
      Those are awesome mirrors that I would love to have if they were available in a sport/bullet mirror style.

Not sport/bullet but correct for year.
      You can order a set cheaper that you can paint to match and assemble
      Easy assembly. Phillips screwdriver, 5/16 wrench, anti seize, locktite & RTV.
      Look on our web page Morris Classic , 3 point seat belts , emblems , etc.
      Thx, Billy

Aside from "correctness" I think the consensus of anyone owning a 1st Gen Camaro is that the bullet mirrors from the 2nd Gen are probably one the best looking replacements you can use. I'm in the middle of installing said 2nd Gen mirrors right now on my '69 and working on trying to figure out where to run the control cables if I use the existing holes (2 small ones in front of a single large one).

So I took off the normal chrome mirror and removed the bracket that is specific to that chrome mirror, its basically a strip of metal with certain bent end tabs to grab the inside of the mirror in the front and in the back there's a screw that's fed in from outside the mirror. Tightening it up locks the mirror in place. I installed the bullet mirror bracket on a sheet rubber gasket I cut by hand. This basically flat gasket does an almost perfect job locating the mirror but the hole is obviously covered up and in the rear portion of the bracket. The ideal location would be something like this...

I removed the rubber gasket and substituted a 3D printed one which was sent to me by Bullet Mirrors. They sent me a couple of samples to see if we could come up with a gasket design that would work. One sample was flat, the other had a reverse taper. Haven't tried that one yet. So my car is kinda the test goat for them LOL, but I love helping out.

This last two shots show that the flat gasket might be the one that ensures the mirror sitting level on the '69 door skin. They had preset holes in the gasket and unfortunately they didn't allow the mirror base to nest exactly right so that's why the gasket seems a little off. The bullet mirrors are not flat across the top, they are more of a soft arc... so look at the place where mirror base meets the mirror shell and you'll see a horizontal line that's more indicative of the bottom which is almost straight.

I'm juggling 50 things right now but I'll keep playing with this till I get it figured out. If it was a manual mirror without the cable it'd be easy peasy.-Mike
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

OldTimer,
      They look okay but it is like painting a set of Rally wheels any color than argent silver
      just don't look right.
      I think the main reason is that until Morris Classic Patented the Clear Shot mirrors
      there wasn't a mirror that eliminated the blindspot or stayed adjusted.
      Too much work to install bullet mirrors too!
      IMHO
      Billy
      Last edited by morrisclassic; 04-12-2022 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
      Aside from "correctness" I think the consensus of anyone owning a 1st Gen Camaro is that the bullet mirrors from the 2nd Gen are probably one the best looking replacements you can use. I'm in the middle of installing said 2nd Gen mirrors right now on my '69 and working on trying to figure out where to run the control cables if I use the existing holes (2 small ones in front of a single large one).

So I took off the normal chrome mirror and removed the bracket that is specific to that chrome mirror, its basically a strip of metal with certain bent end tabs to grab the inside of the mirror in the front and in the back there's a screw that's fed in from outside the mirror. Tightening it up locks the mirror in place. I installed the bullet mirror bracket on a sheet rubber gasket I cut by hand. This basically flat gasket does an almost perfect job locating the mirror but the hole is obviously covered up and in the rear portion of the bracket. The ideal location would be something like this...

I removed the rubber gasket and substituted a 3D printed one which was sent to me by Bullet Mirrors. They sent me a couple of samples to see if we could come up with a gasket design that would work. One sample was flat, the other had a reverse taper. Haven't tried that one yet. So my car is kinda the test goat for them LOL, but I love helping out.

This last two shots show that the flat gasket might be the one that ensures the mirror sitting level on the '69 door skin. They had preset holes in the gasket and unfortunately they didn't allow the mirror base to nest exactly right so that's why the gasket seems a little off. The bullet mirrors are not flat across the top, they are more of a soft arc... so look at the place where mirror base meets the mirror shell and you'll see a horizontal line that's more indicative of the bottom which is almost straight.

I'm juggling 50 things right now but I'll keep playing with this till I get it figured out. If it was a manual mirror without the cable it'd be easy peasy.-Mike
      Thanks! Very helpful

Love my bullets on my 68 and I obviously don't give a ratsazz about "correctness".. lol

Resized_20200301_184830 by F G, on Flickr
      20200428_200647 by F G, on Flickr

Billy...

I know you are a specialty product manufacturer and you obviously believe in your product. I respect that, honest I do. Just like I respect the guys that insist that their numbers-matching Camaros are consistent with original parts and remanufactured copies of parts. This is a hobby for many and like many hobbies there's all sorts of variants within it and that's great for the overall hobby. But the fact of the matter is that a large portion of Camaro and many other brands of muscle cars, restomods, and protouring rides just flat out don't like chrome mirrors from the '60's era, and not just the chrome... they don't like the shape either. They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and many of us will go to great lengths to modify our rides to our tastes. Right now, my car has factory style chrome mirrors and they ve been on that car for years. But I've always preferred the painted bullet style mirror for its aesthetics. I bought a new corvette in 1969 and they came with chrome mirrors then... as soon as I saw the 1970 bullet mirrors I replaced the chrome ones immediately. For what it's worth... I'd bet dollars to donuts that bullet mirrors are more aerodynamic as well. Admittedly, there are some mounting challenges when one retrofits, but its part of the hobby too.

Technically, a mirror is mounted on a door (usually) and the drivers's side and the rear view mirrors are the most used mirrors. Passenger side mirrors were an afterthought, a design element that was more about balance and aesthetics than safety in my opinion. That being said, with bullet mirrors being brought up constantly in these forums, as a manufacturer... why don't you develop a Morris Bullet Mirror set rather than trying to get us to change our minds?

Mike
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Frank...

You're right, they look awesome! I can't believe anyone would think a chrome mirror would look better. Curious about how yours are mounted. What did you do with the factory holes and the control cable?

Mike

Frank...

You're right, they look awesome! I can't believe anyone would think a chrome mirror would look better. Curious about how yours are mounted. What did you do with the factory holes and the control cable?

Mike
      The control cable is just laying in the bottom of the door for now, and it works just fine as a thumb adjusted mirror.. lol
      I used the base gasket of the 70's bullet mirror and the mounting plate. It took a little finesse but I got it to sit decent. It really could use a better base gasket and hopefully someone will come up with one. It does need a little bit of high side/low side to sit right.

why don't you develop a Morris Bullet Mirror
      I would be very interested in that. It could even be just the mirror portion and maybe base gasket as a kit to replace the OEM mirrors in the GM bullet mirrors. I like the concept and for sure the wider view on the PS mirror that yours have. Anvil makes replacement guts for 2nd gen bullet mirrors but I don't think the right side is wide view, but they do eliminate the need to have the remote cables which personally I prefer to not have to keep the interior cleaner.

Old Timer,

As I stated Everyone has their opinions on what looks best on their car.I personally like chrome mirrors
      that Eliminate the blind spot and are chrome.
      We don't have any plans to build a set of bullet mirrors as our design functions and looks great.
      Billy

So back to the original question - is there a difference between the OER and Goodmark mirrors which are almost twice the cost per mirror and is that difference with the extra money?

Yes... Steve started this thread asking specifically about aftermarket Bullet Mirrors, nothing else. I'm only adding my two cents to show him some mounting dilemmas you have to overcome with th Bullet mirrors. I looked at both the Goodmark and the OER products online and I can't see any significant difference. BulletMirror.com sells reconditioned OEM GM bullet mirrors at a reasonable price. I doubt the Goodmark or the OER is as good as the OEM part. I bought mine on eBay and did my own reconditioning... sandblasted them, metal etched primer, then 2K primer, then had my local body shop do the two stage paint. But if anyone has experience with the Bullet reproductions, please post up.-Mike

I inquired as to when Anvil would be getting the mirror glass and got this response;
      New messages from Anvil Auto
      Hello Frank, We have a few in stock that we just received, however if you will be using these on a factory mirror housing there will be a slight gap. We are working on a new design that will fit stock housing better. These will be available in about 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
      I inquired as to when Anvil would be getting the mirror glass and got this response;
      New messages from Anvil Auto
      Hello Frank, We have a few in stock that we just received, however if you will be using these on a factory mirror housing there will be a slight gap. We are working on a new design that will fit stock housing better. These will be available in about 2 months.
      good to know, I can wait, plenty do work on now.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com