Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Hydramat.. Is it worth the $

I have the Holley tank kit (Tanks Inc) 19-401 which has the 400 lph fuel pump and says "Internal tank baffling includes a large 4.3 liter internal fuel tray to prevent fuel pump starvation"
      I asked Holley about a Hydramat for this tank and they said the 16-124 ($158.94) 3" X 8" HYDRAMAT®, RECTANGLE CENTER OUTLET would be a good mat for this tank. Would it be worth adding the Hydramat?
      Opinions? Facts? testimonials?
      Thanks

Country Flag: United States
      3" x 8" isn't all that big. I think my Walbro 255 came with a sock about 3" x 6". What comes on the pump?
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
      3" x 8" isn't all that big. I think my Walbro 255 came with a sock about 3" x 6". What comes on the pump?
      A Hydramat is not a sock. Completely different, it is a fuel starvation prevention device.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

By "sock" i'm referring to the fuel pump inlet strainer like this one typical on a Walbro pump:

Name:  vpn-125-546_xl.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  36.3 KB

Here is a photo of a 3x8 hydramat from Holley's website - similar size and material, maybe not exactly the same, but basically a filter-type porous material

Name:  16-125_01.jpg
Size:  69.4 KB

I think either of these will draw fuel from any area they cover as long as they are wet, and therefore act as a fuel starvation prevention device based on the surface tension of the fuel in any given micro-passage. I'd be willing to bet if a pump strainer is wet, you could dip just a corner into fuel and draw fuel just fine.

Am I wrong? I'm fine with being wrong.
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
      By "sock" i'm referring to the fuel pump inlet strainer like this one typical on a Walbro pump:

Name:  vpn-125-546_xl.jpg
Size:  36.3 KB

Here is a photo of a 3x8 hydramat from Holley's website - similar size and material, maybe not exactly the same, but basically a filter-type porous material

Name:  16-125_01.jpg
Size:  69.4 KB

I think either of these will draw fuel from any area they cover as long as they are wet, and therefore act as a fuel starvation prevention device based on the surface tension of the fuel in any given micro-passage. I'd be willing to bet if a pump strainer is wet, you could dip just a corner into fuel and draw fuel just fine.

Am I wrong? I'm fine with being wrong.
      The Hyrdamat alone costs more than a 255lph walbro. Infact you could buy 2 walbro 255s for the cost of the cheapest hydramat sold. so no...its not the same as the sock that comes included with your pump.

You don't have anything to worry about. I have a tanks inc tank in my a-body and completely sucked it dry with no problem. Just follow the directions when installing the pump and you'll be fine.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com