Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

OBDII Smart gauge

Im building a 69 camaro; LSA crate engine, gm connect & cruise w/e60 and using Dakota Digital gauges. I’d like to find either a Smart OBDII gauge or an app just to allow me to see some of the engine parameters that aren’t available thru the Dakota gauges. I don’t necessarily need them available all the time, but it’d be nice to be able to see iat and others at times. Banks has I-Dash super gauge that could be mounted in a discrete location, it’s semi customizable. and there are a ton of cheaper options. I feel like there is probably a good option for a phone WiFi app as well. I’m hoping that I can get some feedback from the non Holley guys on what works well.

If this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it. I wasn’t sure which one was best suited for it.

thanks, Mike
      Mike
      69 Camaro - In the Works

I use this. It's pretty handy. Requires a dongle to plug into the OBD port. https://www.palmerperformance.com/pr...hone/index.php
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

If you're running an android, check out the Torque app. Customizable dashes, performance timers, and also has a track recorder add on, you can video and add gauges to the video. You can check and clear codes, datalog, etc. Uses a cheap bluetooth or wifi OBD dongle. I have a very cheap ELM327 bluetooth dongle from amazon, haven't had any problems with it.

Video I made when I first got my car on the road goofing off:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ic8GV-eIY
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Torque app for android is the best. If you have iPhone or iPad I’ve been using car scanner. It connects right away, never gotten any miscommunication or unable to connect messages like from other iPhone apps I tried to use.

You’ll need an obd dongle. This is what I got.
      Veepeak OBDCheck BLE OBD2... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XKQQQW...p_mob_ap_share

I also use Torque, but looking at the DashCommand app Carl posted, it appears to have a slicker interface. I have a WiFi OBDII dongle, but I would recommend getting a Bluetooth type instead. With WiFI I can't use it at the same time as my GoPro or other devices that use WiFi.
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Thanks everyone for your input. To show you how little I know about it, I didn’t really get that the “smarts” is in the app and not in the dongle. I have an iPhone so I’ll look at those suggestions. I see a Dash command app in the App Store for $9.99. So that and an iPhone compatible dongle is all I need?
      Mike
      69 Camaro - In the Works

You need dongle to be compatible with the iPhone and with the app. If you plan on using dash command then reach out to them what their preference is for dongle. Dash command may have their own dongle. BTW, that’s what I didn’t like about the paid apps, they nickel and dime you, at least that’s my opinion. You pay $10 for the app, then you notice you need oil pressure, oh that’s another $5 to get the “advanced pack” etc. Thats why I use the car scanner app, it’s free, it works and has all the gauges. Maybe doesn’t look as pretty, but it’s straight forward digital gauges. Or you can customize them to look analog, change color, layout, etc.

Get the veepak dongle from Amazon, try the car scanner app, play with it, if you don’t like it, delete it, return the dongle to Amazon and pay for the dash command.

Thanks. Dash command has a hardware page that’s lists supported devices. Only gopoint for ios but I think it’s outdated, so a call is probably a smart idea. With a quick search it looks like several on the list are no longer available. But several reviews say the Veepeak ble+ works well with it and iPhone so I ordered one and I’ll give it a try. Veepeak site also says it’s compatible.
      Mike
      69 Camaro - In the Works

A little update.

I tried the Veepeak and I could not get it to work with I-phone and dash command. I contacted Dash Command customer support and received the following response.

“ We generally recommend the PLX Kiwi 3 or the Vgate iCar Pro as a cheaper alternative. The Vgate and Kiwi are both solid devices, but the Kiwi seems perform slightly better. Less connectivity issues and little to no lag.”

I bought the kiwi and it works great. I have just been playing with it in my truck so far but I think it’ll do what I was looking for. There are a lot of free “Dash boards” and I still haven’t found exactly what I want but I’m getting close.
      Mike
      69 Camaro - In the Works

Check out “car scanner elm obd2” for iPhone. That’s what I use. It should be compatible with the kiwi I think.

I downloaded car scanner and it worked fine with the Veepeak. Works with the kiwi too.
      Here is a dashboard designed for the LSA I found. Has most of what I think I want on one screen.
      Name:  7D3158A9-BED1-4E2A-8B77-2025C98F54CA.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  94.1 KB
      Mike
      69 Camaro - In the Works

Mike that dash looks cool, where did you get it from?

There is a link on the dash panel settings page in DashCommand. It takes you to the DashCommand forum for the Page builders. They have hundreds of dash panels to choose from and many are vehicle specific. I can post a link later
      Mike
      69 Camaro - In the Works

The site is http://www.dashxl.net/

Mike
      69 Camaro - In the Works

On edit -

I bought an ELM V2.2 adapter from Veepeak and it will hook up to Car Scanner fine and probably has what i need for now. I downloaded Dashcommand it would not hook up using Android (pixel 7). Haven't tried Dashcommand on an iPad yet, but Car Scanner works fine on an old iPad with this dongle.

Thanks Mike!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com