Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post
      Drivers valve cover is capped, passnager valve cover goes to the intake, valley cover to catch can and catch can to intake after the throttle body
      That is how my Camaro and my LS2 based GTO are routed also. No issues.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

i had royal purple break in oil, when first discovered my issue, then after the machine shop advised me to try and wash the cylinders, hopeing maybe the rings are dirty for some odd reason, i went with driven br oil. and then rotela just to keep oil in the car. i have mighty mouse catch can, uses oil fill on pass side for dirty >catch can> intake vacuum. and driver side valve cover to intake tube for clean air. i have been fighting my issue since january, trying to work on it between work, it was my dd, till the trans gave up.
      1969 Chevy Nova, LS, T56
      1960 Chevy C10 Apache, 350, T56

A little more than 100 miles since my cheap fix, and so far no noticeable loss of oil, and no increase in the oil in the catch can. So far so good, but the exhaust still smells like oil. I guess it may take some time burn the oil out of the mufflers or wherever else its hiding.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

+1 on that Wegner adjustable PCV valve.

If you are getting oil like that in the intake, the PCV isn't your problem. The lack of engine knowledge on this board anymore is sad, at best. A few things may have happened, that all lead to the same thing. Did you have the car tuned? Did the Tuner know what they were doing? Car smell rich when running? What the "wash your cylinders" comment you mis-interpreted was meant to be read as you "ran the car too rich and washed your cylinders with fuel, which ruined the ring seal". That is probably what happened. Mind you, may have been a machining fubar, the only way to know that is pull the motor and tear it down and measure. Where did you get the motor from? Any warranty? These days, good luck with that. Expect to pull the motor and have it done again. If you do, do NOT go back to the same place. I do have a few places I can recommend that do good work, but it's a short, expensive list. Wish you luck, hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DualQuadDave View Post
      If you are getting oil like that in the intake, the PCV isn't your problem. The lack of engine knowledge on this board anymore is sad, at best. A few things may have happened, that all lead to the same thing. Did you have the car tuned? Did the Tuner know what they were doing? Car smell rich when running? What the "wash your cylinders" comment you mis-interpreted was meant to be read as you "ran the car too rich and washed your cylinders with fuel, which ruined the ring seal". That is probably what happened. Mind you, may have been a machining fubar, the only way to know that is pull the motor and tear it down and measure. Where did you get the motor from? Any warranty? These days, good luck with that. Expect to pull the motor and have it done again. If you do, do NOT go back to the same place. I do have a few places I can recommend that do good work, but it's a short, expensive list. Wish you luck, hope I'm wrong.
      Thanks for weighing in.
      I also hope you are wrong. I've since driven the car 1000 miles without losing a drop of oil, no oil present in the intake, and only trace amounts of oil in the catch can. So the PCV valve (or lack thereof originally), seemed to be the issue.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Zachalanche View Post
      Thanks for weighing in.
      I also hope you are wrong. I've since driven the car 1000 miles without losing a drop of oil, no oil present in the intake, and only trace amounts of oil in the catch can. So the PCV valve (or lack thereof originally), seemed to be the issue.
      Awesome!
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Know exactly what you guys are going through, built a SBC cam heads intake combo, got it running, drove it couple thousand miles and it was always smoking, oil coming out of the valve cover gaskets, just a mess, changed the valve covers, went back to a factory GM PVC system, all the parts, cleaned up the motor, 100% difference no smoke, no puking oil ever where, turned out to be a great motor, never even used oil between changes,

good you cleaned it up and went back to the vent and can,
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

Quote Originally Posted by DualQuadDave View Post
      never claimed to know it all, and still learn new things everyday. car was tuned from the get go, and and never ran rich, car ran for about an hour after build with spot on afr. so i didnt wash the cylinders down with fuel, not allowing the seals to set. may have been oil choice that gave me issues. checking and double checking pcv was the quickest and easier thing to check first before tear down. and when the machine shop told me to try and wash the cylinders, they ment exactly that, it was a last ditch effort, they though maybe the rings were stuck. getting that amount of oil in the intake can only get there thru the pcv system, hence why i looked there first. the engine does have to come apart, but all other options were trying to be checked first. id hate to pull and tear an engine down, just to find out it was a bad pcv system, or improperly setup pcv system. but maybe your right, i just lack knowledge, ill stick to my legos.

1969 Chevy Nova, LS, T56
      1960 Chevy C10 Apache, 350, T56

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com