Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Brownfield heads, "60/40" offset, and roller rockers without needles. Help!

My 68 El Camino is biased toward the GT/Road Race end of the spectrum and will never see a drag strip. I intend to drive this car a lot. Cam basic operating range 3000-6900.

It seems my Brownfield heads have a 60/40 offset just like the early AFR 120's.
      From what I have been able to find out the early AFR 120's are Brownfield with a name change.

Lots of discussion on-line about poor valve train geometry with the 60/40 modification.
      But they have been on the market for decades so I would expect this to have been sorted out by now.

Building a wild 327 (333") and have put a lot into the bottom end.
      Heads were a "Deal" that maybe was not, if I have to go to shaft rockers.

Not a fan of needle bearings or aluminum rocker bodies.

Tried looking up various companies to determine who may have what I would like.
      Not having a lot of luck with this.
      Seems nearly everyone uses needles and aluminum.
      Comp Cams might work but reviews on them are mixed.

Suggestions please.

At these prices I want my gas 100 octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!

Country Flag: United States
      Nothing wrong with aluminum rocker arms and needle bearings now if you're going to start throwing some seriously stupid like triple valve springs and a super huge lift six or 700 left roller came at it yeah I would definitely invest in a set of bronze bushings over the needle bearings like they're doing on the ls rocker arms but hell even Comp cams has a stainless steel rocker arms that are roller honestly I can count on one hand how many engines I've actually had to rebuild aluminum roller rockers and they were crane gold competition full on race stuff that had several years on it. And the bearings were cheap once we found a part number we went to the local bearing shop and bought bearings like 50 in a bag for 20 bucks guy just pulls them out pulls a snap rings out pushes everything apart puts new bearings on it presses them back together put some back on the motor sets it back up on the way he rolls. I think he puts maybe 6 months on a set of bearings, mainly because they're made in China and he's not sure exactly how long they'll last so he just changes them out more often.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Found what I want from Scorpion, just have to scrounge the dollars.
      These are going to be the single most expensive component of my engine.

Here is a shocker for my rockers, got them ordered at last and hope they will be here by the end of this month.
      Paid for the bushing upgrade using the 10% discount.
      Maybe I will be able to get back to finishing the engine now.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com