Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Catch can.

Country Flag: United States

Catch can.

know this Topic has been beat to death but I need a little help. Since I put some new valve covers on my truck I'm getting a little bit of oil coming out of my intake and puddling up underneath my fuel injected throttle body.

So I am assuming my pressure is a little off with the valve cover change.. On the passenger side I have A PCV hooked to the back of my Holley sniper Throtle body itself and that's the only ventilation it's getting. My driver's side has a filter style oil cap. The Valve covers do have baffles on each hole.

Would I benefit from a catch can? If so how would it be hooked up since I only have I source of ventilation?
      Attached Images Attached Images  

I have a catch can on my LS3 but that's because I read where LS engines are notorious for pulling oil into the intake on the PCV side. It sounds like you have plenty of breathing ability on your engine the way it is. I get very little oil into my catch can but I do get it. If you have oil on the inside of your intake (under your throttle body), I would first check to see if you need a baffle or plate on the inside of the new valve cover where the PCV line is connected. If nothing you try eliminates the pulling of oily vapors into your intake than a catch can should certainly eliminate it.

I checked. The Valve cover does have a baffle where the PCV goes and it has one where the oil cap goes also.

It looks like you have a throttle body EFI system on there. If that is the case, you want to use a fixed orifice PCV valve.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Is this a speed density system? No MAF? If so, then an ordinary catch between the PCV valve and the TB should help a lot.

I'm a bit skeptical about the breather on the left side of the engine. That really should be providing filtered air, or you could add a port to the inside of your air filter base and connect that to the left side valve cover. Using a connection like that will also keep that breather from dripping oil on to the valve cover.
      Last edited by parsonsj; 03-22-2022 at 02:33 PM.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      It looks like you have a throttle body EFI system on there. If that is the case, you want to use a fixed orifice PCV valve.

Andrew

This could be a stupid question, but what is the difference in a fixed PCV and the one that I have now?

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      Is this a speed density system? No MAF? If so, then an ordinary catch between the PCV valve and the TB should help a lot.

I'm a bit skeptical about the breather on the left side of the engine. That really should be providing filtered air, or you could add a port to the inside of your air filter base and connect that to the left side valve cover. Using a connection like that will also keep that breather from dripping oil on to the valve cover.
      It's a holley sniper so no Maf. So you think the filter/oil cap is doing more harm than good?

How would the catch can be plumed into the PCV ?

Thanks for yalls responses.

The best air/oil separator on planet Earth: https://www.amazon.com/Mann-Hummel-6.../dp/B01F2NZ6RQ

It's plumbed: PCV --> Pro Vent 200 --> throttle body vacuum source. The check valve automatic drain means checking the filter element every 12mo just to make sure it's still there.

I just removed the heads on the Camaro after seven years and a metric s-ton of road miles, thousands of track miles, supercharged, etc. The back of the intake valves look like this:

Last edited by CarlC; 03-27-2022 at 11:10 PM.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
      So you think the filter/oil cap is doing more harm than good?
      I wasn't saying that. The function of that breather in a PCV system is to provide fresh, clean air into the crankcase to replace the dirty air removed via the PCV and engine vacuum. So a good air filter is needed, not just some stainless steel wool. The best air filter in the engine area is the one on top of your throttle body, so that's the best practice.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      The best air/oil separator on planet Earth: https://www.amazon.com/Mann-Hummel-6.../dp/B01F2NZ6RQ

It's plumbed: PCV --> Pro Vent 200 --> throttle body vacuum source. The check valve automatic drain means checking the filter element every 12mo just to make sure it's still there.

I just removed the heads on the Camaro after seven years and a metric s-ton of road miles, thousands of track miles, supercharged, etc. The back of the intake valves look like this:

Again forgive me if this is a dumb question. So the PCV get connected to the inlet (top port) and the outlet gets connected to the the Vacuum on the TB?

Thanks,
      Tim

Yep.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Yep.

I see Amazon has 4 of those in stock again. When I checked they were out. Those things sell fast. Since they were out I just got a Moroso one. Let's see how it works.. I have the PCV hooked to the side closest to the engine and the TB vacuum hooked to the side closest to the fender. This oil / separator was mentioned for a new truck but it mounted perfectly

Hey Carl, What did you use for hose and fittings to connect the Provent? Inquiring minds and all…
      Jeff K.
      69 Camaro SS, 406 SBC, TKO600, 9" w/3.73 tru-trac, Speedtech Arms, AFX Spindles, Lee 670 Box, Baer GT front, C5Z rear. Hyperco Leafs w/ Fays2 Watts Link + Varishocks.

I see there are several sizes of the Pro Vent and they recommend sizes based on HP. The 200 is up to 250KW which is 335 HP, then there's a 400 and an 800 which are getting really big in physical size. What are your thoughts sizing vs HP. Would the using the 200 for a fairly stock GenV LT5 be sufficient?

Catch can

Here my catch can. A nuke performance competition can very nice unit. 316.00 plus a 27.00 drain and of course hoses.Name:  IMG_20220504_204711.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  313.8 KBName:  IMG_20220504_204704.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  336.3 KBName:  IMG_20220504_204653.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  348.0 KB
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

I recently added a second so I got one for the valley and one for the valve covers

TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com