Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Ehhh help? Monte Carlo 88

So before I start I admit I'm a car admirer. Not so much good at fixing them.

So I've recently purchased an 88 Monte Carlo. And well here's the story. Drove it about 1hr home (90% highway drive). Parked 10-15 minutes . Drove it another 20 minutes (resedential.) And than it just died. Sputtering isn't the word. But surely lost gas and power and than everything shut off.

I've put in a battery scrubbed the crud. Car started up and drove another 20 min and same thing. Except it started right back up, but in drive the engine just lost it all as you touched the gas.

My next suspect is the fuel pump which I'm believed is located up at the engine???? And my next idea would be fuel filter, the inline filter I've located. Is there one inside the gas tank as well? And a dude with a 54 piece socket set, is dropping a gas tank possible?

Thank you for the time you gave reading. And any tips would be helpful. And yes I'm ready for all the non wrench guy jabs I apologize lol 🤣

Country Flag: United States
      Trouble shooting problems and finding out what those problems are will help in the long run, probably need to know more about the car, stock, modified etc,

Welcome, 88's a good car, figure out the issues and enjoy driving it!
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve68 View Post
      Trouble shooting problems and finding out what those problems are will help in the long run, probably need to know more about the car, stock, modified etc,

Welcome, 88's a good car, figure out the issues and enjoy driving it!
      It's awesome, I've always admired then owned an 85 ss for a few miles but nothing like this one.

So I've ran into an issue, on the 350 SBC I got a 1406 eddlebrock 4 barrel carb. My transmission has been shifting all kinds of bad. Long shifts and hard. I'm not chewing any gears (yet.) It's on a 700r4 tranny. My tv or (kickdown cable.) It's almost way too short. I'm positive it needs adjusted or new. But I'm needing a cable alittle longer. All I'm finding that seems suitable is cut it yourself lines. Any suggestions?????

Quote Originally Posted by gothamsproblem View Post
      It's awesome, I've always admired then owned an 85 ss for a few miles but nothing like this one.

So I've ran into an issue, on the 350 SBC I got a 1406 eddlebrock 4 barrel carb. My transmission has been shifting all kinds of bad. Long shifts and hard. I'm not chewing any gears (yet.) It's on a 700r4 tranny. My tv or (kickdown cable.) It's almost way too short. I'm positive it needs adjusted or new. But I'm needing a cable alittle longer. All I'm finding that seems suitable is cut it yourself lines. Any suggestions?????
      Bow tie over drives has an adjustable TV cable that works very well for the 700 trans.
      www.bowtieoverdrives.com

Country Flag: United States
      What he said^^^^^ Order up the new one,

badly adjusted TV cable is bad for the Trans!!

Definitely NOT a kick down cable! LOL
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com