Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

Engine Clearance

Does anyone have an idea on the clearance between a LS3 oil pan and and the cross member? I've got 1.25" between them. My headers (long tube) hit on my upper control arms and also on the floor of the car. Wondering if I should change motor mounts to drop the engine a bit or just switch to mid length headers.

Country Flag: United States
      What car/truck are you working on? The LS3 pan does not typically fit my stock frames. What engine mounts & crossmember are you using?

69 camaro stock subframe made my own engine mounts. Just wondering if I should make new ones to drop the engine closer to the cross member

Use all the Holley/Hooker swap components for the stock frame. Clamshell engine mounts, trans cross member, Oil pan, headers, etc. All designed to fit together. Lowers the engine in the frame which allows for acceptable driveline working angles without having to raise the trans tunnel. Do it once, and enjoy. By far the best option for the stock frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Z06vet View Post
      Use all the Holley/Hooker swap components for the stock frame. Clamshell engine mounts, trans cross member, Oil pan, headers, etc. All designed to fit together. Lowers the engine in the frame which allows for acceptable driveline working angles without having to raise the trans tunnel. Do it once, and enjoy. By far the best option for the stock frame.
      ^^^^This

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I can confirm this.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Really goes to show the amount of homework necessary before beginning your build

I just did this. There is a ton of homework that you need to do before jumping into this, that’s for sure. The Holley/Hooker clamshell mount setup and trans crossmember allowed me to bolt my LS7 and T56 Magnum into my stock 68 front subframe without issue. I used the Mast oil pan, as there was conflicting info on whether the Holley pan would work with my 4” stroke.

I have a brand new set of Hooker Blackheart long tubes that work with the Holley mount kits. I’ll be selling them if you’re interested. They won’t clear my ridetech steering system, so I’m going another route. I just haven’t gotten around to posting them for sale yet.
      Andy

1967 Camaro RS
      Magnacharged LS1/T56
      543 rwhp, 516 rwtq
      Sold

1968 Firebird
      LS427/570 and T56 Magnum

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com