Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Flanges before and after Mufflers for easy swaps & removal?

Has anyone ever done flanges before and after their mufflers to allow easier future removal without cutting, and to allow swapping different mufflers back and forth without welding?

I'm doing a custom 3" exhaust on a 69 Mustang and keep debating between glasspacks (my tried and true favorite) or experimenting with some Borlas. Doing this flanges would let me get both mufflers done up with flanges at the time of exhaust creation for easy swaps later on.

Thoughts?

Downsides?

Country Flag: United States
      I have not done it personally, but a buddy of mine did before/after the muffler as well as in other locations to make it easy to remove/replace.

He used something like these.
      http://www.siliconeintakes.com/dsm-i...4aAn9rEALw_wcB
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Thanks for the reply and the link, those look interesting.

Those work like a champ... Have done 3 cars with the V-Band style clamps and have had no issues. The better ones have a small recess that makes one fit inside the other not just 2 flat surfaces.

BB

I had never heard of these, but love the fact that they would save weight over heavy flanges and bolts and how easy it would be to undo and reinstall them.

Country Flag: United States
      Name:  Pipes.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  69.7 KB

They make it simple, no gasket, easy to align and they do not leak. Build the sections that you want to interchange and it should be a quick bolt-on. I had this exhaust system in and out of the car numerous times with no issues.

I used to weld flanges to the mufflers but have gone to the band clamps like what they use on all the newer cars and trucks. No welding required.
      At the inlet side of the muffler tube I cut 3-4 slots so the band clamp can clamp really well. On the outlet side of the muffler I have the tail pipe expanded to fit over the muffler tube. Then I cut slots into the tail pipe so the band clamps can clamp down really well.

Unless the second set of mufflers have the exact same offsets, the clamps won’t line up. So I would install at least one set of v-bands a bit away from the mufflers to allow room to make a jog in the pipe.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com