Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Steve G from Rugged Radios

Greetings all,

I found the forum while gathering information for a new wheel and tire package for my 69. This car has been in my family for 30-plus years. I drove my now wife to our first date in it way back when, has been through the whole family... etc.
      It runs and drives but will get a few updates soon. First on the list is new wheels... looking at 18x9's. They seem too wide for the front but from what I'm reading (from a few posts, not a lot!), they'll fit. We'll see! Second on the list is a 2-way radio. Why? Well, it's part of what I do and we have a hell of a good time making fun of each other on road trips. Haha!

Thanks for the great forum and info!

-Steve G

Name:  IMG-0002.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  487.3 KB

Neato Camaro. When you say 2 way radio, do you mean CB or are you a ham?
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500
      '70 Cougar XR-7 Convertible
      '98 Mustang GT Convertible

Greetings, I do have a Ham license, but we typically use GMRS when just out cruising (hwy channel 19). I had a short run of chrome radios made to put in our old cars... just couldn't put a black radio under a chrome dash! haha.

Country Flag: United States
      Nice project.

Welcome to the site.
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
      Greetings, I do have a Ham license, but we typically use GMRS when just out cruising (hwy channel 19).

Interesting. I was at a show a while back and noticed one of the cars had a CB in it, I asked the owner about it, if it was useful, as I recall from the one time I dabbled in CB radio, back in the 90's, all the channels were super crowded and mostly noise. He told me that him and his buddy were usually the only ones on the channel (in southern California, too). Guess most ppl went online and now they're all on Facebook arguing. Anywho, he loved using CB's between his friends for roadtrips. Just like having a private radio channel.

I had a short run of chrome radios made to put in our old cars... just couldn't put a black radio under a chrome dash! haha.
      Would love to see that!
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500
      '70 Cougar XR-7 Convertible
      '98 Mustang GT Convertible

Greetings all,

I found the forum while gathering information for a new wheel and tire package for my 69. This car has been in my family for 30-plus years. I drove my now wife to our first date in it way back when, has been through the whole family... etc.
      It runs and drives but will get a few updates soon. First on the list is new wheels... looking at 18x9's. They seem too wide for the front but from what I'm reading (from a few posts, not a lot!), they'll fit. We'll see! Second on the list is a 2-way radio. Why? Well, it's part of what I do and we have a hell of a good time making fun of each other on road trips. Haha!

Thanks for the great forum and info!

-Steve G
      Good looking ride! I saw the title and recognized the company name since I'm familiar with Rugged through all of the Ultimate Adventure and Dirt Every Day exposure. Welcome aboard!
      Kris - Building the poor man's '68 Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by chunger View Post
      Interesting. I was at a show a while back and noticed one of the cars had a CB in it, I asked the owner about it, if it was useful, as I recall from the one time I dabbled in CB radio, back in the 90's, all the channels were super crowded and mostly noise. He told me that him and his buddy were usually the only ones on the channel (in southern California, too). Guess most ppl went online and now they're all on Facebook arguing. Anywho, he loved using CB's between his friends for roadtrips. Just like having a private radio channel.
      Having radios while on road trips, cruising, etc, is next level. Yeah, we use cell phones, too, but for road tripping and cruising, there's no comparison to instant communications. We love it and hope to promote it in car culture... GRMS Channel 19 is the new highway channel.

Would love to see that!
      I'll post up some photos. I've done two runs of chrome radios. I'm not super into chrome, but it's fitting when it comes to our classic cars. Nothing else seems right!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arcane73 View Post
      Good looking ride! I saw the title and recognized the company name since I'm familiar with Rugged through all of the Ultimate Adventure and Dirt Every Day exposure. Welcome aboard!
      Greetings! Yes. Great stuff. If you ever meet Steve Bechard, ask him about his shoulder... sure to ruffle some feathers! haha!

I saw where some of the Drag and Drive guys are using Rugged Radios, any idea which one they are using?

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
      I saw where some of the Drag and Drive guys are using Rugged Radios, any idea which one they are using?
      Hey brother, was it Drag week? For those, a few people set up their cars with our single-seat kits into a headset. If I remember correctly, we also set up one of the cars with an intercom and headsets... basically, we set them up with systems so they could talk inside of and between their ridiculously loud cars.

Hey brother, was it Drag week? For those, a few people set up their cars with our single-seat kits into a headset. If I remember correctly, we also set up one of the cars with an intercom and headsets... basically, we set them up with systems so they could talk inside of and between their ridiculously loud cars.
      Saw guys talking about it for Sick Week.

Would love to see that!
      Here you go. We drew and 3d printed a bezel for it. Currently it's in two pieces, but the final will be printed in a single piece. Next up is the antenna... trying to decide where to put it.

Name:  Camaro RDM.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  515.0 KB

That's awesome Steve! I think it looks right at home and for sure would be fun on road trips and events if other people would get radios in their cars! You could at least bring some portables along to throw at people so they can appreciate how much fun it can be. I used to do a lot of offroading and all the club members / regulars had CBs in their rigs. It just isn't as common in this hobby, but perhaps you could make it so.

You might appreciate this older Dodge factory CB I came across recently. This unit is installed in a wood grain dash with all the chrome trimmings - I love it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CcQSDJfL...on_share_sheet
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
      That's awesome Steve! I think it looks right at home and for sure would be fun on road trips and events if other people would get radios in their cars! You could at least bring some portables along to throw at people so they can appreciate how much fun it can be. I used to do a lot of offroading and all the club members / regulars had CBs in their rigs. It just isn't as common in this hobby, but perhaps you could make it so.

You might appreciate this older Dodge factory CB I came across recently. This unit is installed in a wood grain dash with all the chrome trimmings - I love it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CcQSDJfL...on_share_sheet
      My old Corvette club used to use family band handhelds for driving events. Even if you're just roadtripping with one other cars it makes it much more enjoyable!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post

We use radios off-road all the time and have gotten so used to it, we put them in everything. My parents and brothers are also way into cars and use them a lot... they use them on cruises all the time and take extras for those that don't have them... instant communication keeps everyone connected and makes it that much for fun!

The link didn't work. What's the account name?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
      My old Corvette club used to use family band handhelds for driving events. Even if you're just roadtripping with one other cars it makes it much more enjoyable!
      Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
      By the way, we use GMRS (shares most frequencies with Family Band, AKA: FRS) pretty much everywhere but the races. It makes it easier for others to jump on the radio with us since most people have a couple FRS radios rolling around in a junk drawer....

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com