Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
      Country Flag: United States
      Another day, another broken part... Finished 3rd overall raw of 65 drivers (4th in PAX) at the Corvettes of Minnesota autocross yesterday, running all day on only 3 shocks.

An unknown bind occurring at full compression snapped the shaft on my LF coilover on my first run, so I made 6 of my 7 runs, and drove 60 miles home with the shock doing absolutely nothing on that corner. Damage to the shock body occurred from running with it flopping around inside the spring... I didn't realize it was broke, thought it was just a blown shock. Only decently fast way around a right-hander was to be real smooth with the brake, settling it down on the bumpstop before turn-in, and trail braking to keep it on the bumpstop through the middle of the corner.

Last week I took FTD of 58 drivers at a local autocross in Chippewa Falls, WI.

I am now at about 90 runs on last year's Yokohama's, and there's not much left in them.

Name:  shock2.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  199.7 KB

Name:  shock1.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  197.5 KB
      Derek Kiefer,
      Mantorville, MN

Wow...is this with the QA1 kit with the conical spring set-up?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

No, this is Alston Varishock with Speedtech Chicane upper mounts.

There is a spot on the frame where the spring was rubbing inside the pocket on full compression. When I checked my clearances, I did not remove the bumpstops, so I think it interfered only when the bumpstops were compressed. I can't remember if I re-checked clearances after changing lower arms either... I did the Chicane mounts in 2019 and replaced the SPC lowers with the beefy new version in 2020. Spring making contact with the frame was putting side load on the shaft. I am NOT blaming the parts for this failure.

Name:  283278556_3130725040528854_8657912882030800828_n.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  156.8 KB

Derek Kiefer,
      Mantorville, MN

Good catch. It doesn't take much side load at all to tear up a shock shaft.

Amazing it didn't try to spit the spring off the spring seats doing 6 runs and then driving it home with a broken coilover shaft, but I guess unless you have enough rebound travel to unload the spring it would stay in place.

Had a similar thing happen on a friend's 70 Chevelle with hybrid style coilovers that sits pretty low, the top of the coilover body would contact the little tab which is part of the spring perch inside the frame at full compression. Didn't break the shock shaft on his, but did tear up the coilover body and end cap real bad and trashed the coilover. Since the bottom of the coilover body was attached to the lower control arm and because it was a hybrid coilover the upper part of the spring sits in the frame, he didn't notice anything was wrong until it was up on the rack one day and I noticed the top of the shock body was all beat up from hitting the frame and starting to leak pretty badly.

Switched to Global West coilover specific lower arms which dropped the lower mount 1.25" compared to his previous arms, that put the coilover body further away from the frame at full compression and now there's plenty of clearance.

When I do the upper mount coilover conversion on my frame I'll pay extra close attention to clearance through the entire travel range.

Also, I didn't see you mention it, but how's the tire clearance up front with the 295s? Any rubbing, or did you modify the inner fenders?
      1969 Chevelle
      Old setup: Procharged/intercooled/EFI 353 SBC, TKO, ATS/SPC/Global West suspension, C6 brakes & hydroboost.
      In progress: LS2, 3.0 Whipple, T56 Magnum, torque arm & watts link, Wilwood Aero6/4 brakes, Mk60 ABS, vaporworx, floater 9" rear, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Blown353 View Post
      Also, I didn't see you mention it, but how's the tire clearance up front with the 295s? Any rubbing, or did you modify the inner fenders?
      It's really tight, stock inner fenders... 10.5" wheels with 6" backspace.

There were some minor rub marks before, but now lots of rub marks inside the inner fenders after running an event with no compression damping on one side. The big thing is I had it all dialed in on 275/35 and changed to 295/35 which is quite a bit taller.

I'm going back to 275s now due to the 295s being 3 months out for delivery.
      Derek Kiefer,
      Mantorville, MN

This little project escalated quickly.

Thanks to Justin Nall at Vector Force Industries for hooking me up with these Viking Crusader triple-adjustable coilovers and some 850# springs.

I got a little carried away with making room to be sure nothing would bind, which opened up the possibility to move the coilover mount further outboard on the A-arm, which will make for a significant improvement in the motion ratio.

I still have the other side to do, but should go pretty quick compared to figuring out the first one.

Name:  20220602_201600.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  395.2 KB

Name:  20220604_204735.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  398.8 KB

Name:  20220605_165038.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  383.4 KB

Name:  20220604_205838.jpg
Size:  276.0 KB

Name:  20220605_170133.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  307.1 KB

Name:  20220605_165635.jpg
Size:  423.9 KB
      Derek Kiefer,
      Mantorville, MN

I got my first few really professional looking action-photos with the car's new look at an autocross this weekend with Minnesota Autosports Club at the MN State Fairgrounds.

Name:  MOWOG3-4.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  123.9 KB

Name:  MOWOG3-3.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  261.7 KB

Name:  MOWOG3-2.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  238.5 KB

Name:  MOWOG3-1.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  287.1 KB

Saturday's fastest run:

Sunday's fastest run:

There were 109 drivers both days. I finished 11th overall raw on Saturday, and 13th on Sunday... 12th in PAX both days, and won CAMT both days.
      Derek Kiefer,
      Mantorville, MN

Country Flag: Canada
      First time seeing this thread. Great story, great car, and great driving!

Great Story and Pictures, with lessons for all on the backside,

I have a friend from here in Orlando with a 72' with a lot of the same parts and mods you have, he was on LS1tech conversion page, won the autocross at Chevelbration, beating some big name driver and Car builder and parts manufacture, havent heard from him in a while, motors broke,

Again great posts and Pics
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LS1 T56, 12bolt 3:90's, C5/LS1 brakes IROC box, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green,Spearcos,

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475228 some pics

70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

It is great to see the progress that you have made and are still making!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Thanks everyone for the compliments.
      On Father's Day I decided to hit another little local autocross, and talked my wife into driving as well. We ended our day early with a tire puncture on the right-front. I didn't want to de-bead the tire, or wear out the battery on my portable compressor (that I needed to use a couple times on the way home), so we called it quits after our morning runs.

After 118 runs and 1250 street miles on Yokohama A052s, the last 8 being 2-driver 95deg day and forgot my sprayer, the rear tires started to delaminate... this was to be my last event on these tires anyway.

Name:  yok2.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  345.0 KB

Name:  yok1.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  248.7 KB

Last night I mounted up new 275/35 Nankang CR-S, as the 295/35 Yoks are unavailable until late summer/fall.
      I was planning to buy 2 sets of tires this year, but supply chain screwed up that plan.

Name:  nankang.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  447.4 KB
      Derek Kiefer,
      Mantorville, MN

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5