Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: 4L60 vs 4L80

Country Flag: United States

4L60 vs 4L80

I know the 4L80 is a better transmission. Does the 4L80 actually use 30 extra horsepower? Sounds like someone is a little off kilter! Since I am putting this in a 66 Lemans cruiser I don't want to loose that much HP.

It's reciprocating mass.. 4L80e is bigger in every way therefore takes more mechanical effort to operate.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

I know a few people that switched from a 7004R to a 4L80E in there Syclones and they went faster 60 ft & 1/4 mile.
      They kept on blowing up built 7004R's

Country Flag: Canada
      a 4l80e behind a stock ls engine of any variety will be slower than a 60e. This is mostly due to the terrible gear ratios of the 80e behind a stock engine. Once you do a cam and torque converter, you come out ahead. They are much larger, much heavier and shift noticeably slower. I ran a built 65e in a awd denali crew cab with a procharger on 17psi and it lived a very happy life. If the car is just a cruiser and you dont plan on whippin donuts and beating on it... A nicely built 4l65/70 is hard to beat. Especially the first gear ratio. An 80e is nice but I feel it really needs a 26-2800rpm stall to wake it up.

Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com