Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Autocross or Road Course

I see quite a few posts for autocross events as compared to road course events. I would imagine this is due to the cost of setting up events and location availability. I can see how an autocross course can be set up in a large parking lot as where a road course would require a real track.

I think running a road course would be the biggest thrill but never see any postings for open tracks or events. I'd love to start getting my 2 young teen daughters into and excited about competing and racing.

How many of you actually get out and enjoy some course time be it autocross or road course and what are some of your biggest thrills doing it?

Country Flag: United States
      I try to do a couple of track days a year, I have recently gotten my wife involved sharing weekend driving time and she loves it.

I would say road course will get you more track time per weekend but it cost more (entrance fee ~500ish/ tires/ brakes )and your car will need to be better prepared (brakes and cooling) to make it through an event. typically you get 2hrs a day of track time at the track days that i have attended sometimes more depending on how many run groups the org chooses to run. usually a session last 20-30 minutes which is about all a "street car" will want.

Autocross will be cheaper but a lot less time behind the wheel. usually lasting under 1 min per run. I imagine 10 runs a day or less would be good general estimate for maximum track time for autocross.

I ran a small track event several years ago and advertised it here didn't get a lot of traction probably because of my location in no where Alabama.

Anyways there are websites that advertise both types of events. Hagerty recently purchased the one I frequent.

If you really want to do road courses, just have to search them out. Here's a run-what-ya-brung one to start you off.

http://www.sscc.us/event_description.aspx

From the website - "For over the past three decades, driving enthusiasts from around the world have gathered on the third Sunday of May and September in the Nevada high desert for the running of two truly unique automotive events. Their amazing journey traverses 90 to 122 miles of closed, two-lane public highway, comprising of long fast straights, sweeping corners, blind dips, even carving through a twisty canyon. The current course record for the 90 miles stands at 219.6430 mph average speed, as recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records. The best part is, if you’ve got the nerve, a little cash, and a fast ride, you too can join them to run as fast as you can, legally, down a public highway."

That 90 mile record - that's 90 miles in under 25 minutes.

Disclaimer - people do both die and suffer life-altering injuries on this road course.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

I can only speak for road course time as I have not tried doing autocross yet. In full transparency I am originally a motorcycle road course guy. Used to club race for years, so now that I am old I instruct for a track day organization (bouncing hurts!). Well, that was until I decided to make my old high school Camaro handle better and brake better...well you know the drill.

So it was time to take the car out on the track. Even with all the track time I get every year (16+ days a year with the bikes alone), it was not in my comfort zone to take the car out on the track. That was until I did it, and it was amazing! So much fun that now I am a member at a private road course (https://clubmotorsports.com) just to get as much track time in as possible with two or four wheels.

You will not regret doing a track day. You will learn so much, and enjoy every minute of it. Remember that 90% of the people at the track are like you, they are completely into it. Leave your ego at home because you will learn much more if you do. There are some very talented instructors and drivers who are more than willing to share their knowledge. If you listen you will enjoy the day even more and improve your own skills. I could go on and on.

The bottom line is, DO IT! Sign up for a track day or autocross day and make it happen. The only thing you will hurt will be your wallet.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Quote Originally Posted by Motobrewmaster View Post
      I can only speak for road course time as I have not tried doing autocross yet. In full transparency I am originally a motorcycle road course guy. Used to club race for years, so now that I am old I instruct for a track day organization (bouncing hurts!). Well, that was until I decided to make my old high school Camaro handle better and brake better...well you know the drill.

So it was time to take the car out on the track. Even with all the track time I get every year (16+ days a year with the bikes alone), it was not in my comfort zone to take the car out on the track. That was until I did it, and it was amazing! So much fun that now I am a member at a private road course (https://clubmotorsports.com) just to get as much track time in as possible with two or four wheels.

You will not regret doing a track day. You will learn so much, and enjoy every minute of it. Remember that 90% of the people at the track are like you, they are completely into it. Leave your ego at home because you will learn much more if you do. There are some very talented instructors and drivers who are more than willing to share their knowledge. If you listen you will enjoy the day even more and improve your own skills. I could go on and on.

The bottom line is, DO IT! Sign up for a track day or autocross day and make it happen. The only thing you will hurt will be your wallet.
      your post has me looking forward to taking mine out on a track day when it's done. I used to race a motorcycle on road courses too, thats the most exciting thing I have ever done. Did it for 4 year starting around 1990 and quit after seeing a couple people die and a couple friends get maimed. I was going faster and faster taking more risks (which seemed quite prudent at the time) Figured I rolled the dice enough times it was time to give it up before I rolled craps.

I have a hard time seeing auto cross being as fun but I'm likely to try it as well as a road course. Just seems like you would never really get to run with hot tires autocrossing, guess if you used tire warmers maybe. Nothing like a high speed controlled drift on a long sweeper though!

Quote Originally Posted by T/A Addict View Post
      I see quite a few posts for autocross events as compared to road course events. I would imagine this is due to the cost of setting up events and location availability. I can see how an autocross course can be set up in a large parking lot as where a road course would require a real track.

I think running a road course would be the biggest thrill but never see any postings for open tracks or events. I'd love to start getting my 2 young teen daughters into and excited about competing and racing.

How many of you actually get out and enjoy some course time be it autocross or road course and what are some of your biggest thrills doing it?
      Keep an eye out for SCCA track night events near you. It's a good place to start out.

I've done autocross events (LS Fest/optima) and felt I'd enjoyed track events more (disclaimer - I'm a full blown novice when it comes to track times)
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Awesome... Thanks for the great info guys! Track day would be a blast.

Country Flag: Canada
      I autocross and I do track days/time attack as well, although with a much newer sports car as my pro touring project isn't close to done. Tracking a car on a regular basis isn't cheap and the best thing to spend money on is instruction as the learning curve for track driving is steeper. Both have their advantages and disadvantages and I find them both different, especially in terms of driving style. Autocross is more hectic and over quickly while track driving requires the utmost focus lap after lap and gentler inputs versus autocross. However, I'll probable never track my 65 GMC because I wouldn't take an older car/truck on the track without a roll bar in it and I don't plan to put one in my truck.
      Short and wide 1965 GMC 910.

The first track I want to run on when I finish my mustang is the Ozarks International Raceway. Looks like a blast.
      Justin Hocking
      67 Mustang Coupe to Fastback swap
      TCI front and rear
      Detroit Mini Tub

Future coyote

Quote Originally Posted by Motobrewmaster View Post

This.

Many of us do open track/HPDE but just don't post online about it.

I enjoy road course more than AC, but I also don't spend enough time and effort to become more proficient. Both can be fun.

When I'm instructing novice drivers there is a very strong emphasis on leaving the ego at the entry gate. No matter how hard you try, some wicked-good driver will pass you in their ****-box Miata. In that light, follow and learn from them.

Take your time, be safe, don't hurt you or the car.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Quote Originally Posted by justin51986 View Post
      The first track I want to run on when I finish my mustang is the Ozarks International Raceway. Looks like a blast.
      Had never heard of that track. Watched a couple videos of it and it looks awesome... what a thrill of a lifetime that would be. It's close enough to me, being a little west of STL, to even make it happen!

I use autocross to scratch my itch between the times I can run road courses. Like said above, road courses have much more seat time but are also much harder on the equipment and way more expensive overall.

Being "fast" at autocross is also a much more learned skill. It takes more practice and seat time than running pn s road course. Thus can be good or bad, depending on your prerogative.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

To add to what Lance said. Road course time definitely shakes down the car more. The nature of driving a car harder for a longer sustained amount of time is more demanding on the brakes, engine and all cooling systems. This however is a very good way to sort out all these systems on a car. There is a very rewarding feeling to have the confidence that your car can handle being driven hard for a solid 20 or more minutes, that is if you the driver can concentrate that long and stay focused for that amount of time too.

I would say that to really go fast on a road course is equally demanding as autocross. The first few seconds of a lap time can be cut off very easy usually. But to get those last few seconds off is VERY difficult! That said, this is also the challenge and the fun! If it was so easy it would not be so enticing.

Carl nailed it with his Miata comment. There are some very skilled drivers who can navigate a much less capable car around a track FAST! This comes down to the talent of the driver, track knowledge and comfort when getting closer to a vehicles limits. Most of us mortals have to develop these skills, they ARE NOT INATE! The very few people who can "just do it" at actual quick lap times are super rare! The rest of us need to learn these skills, then go out and practice them until they are muscle memory. Trust me when things start to go "wrong", you need to react naturally, quickly, smoothly and correctly. That is why you should ALWAYS drive no more than 80% when you are first driving on any road course. Good instructors and other drivers will explain this in great detail and for good reason.....pay attention!

Cheers, Steve

Just remember this is ALL about having fun. Unless you are getting paid to do it, making big smiles and great memories is the goal. When you drive home with a shiny car and worn tyres while planning the next time you can go to the track, you WON!
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Road course for me. Seat time is everything!

Doing a track day gets you the most time in your car to enjoy driving it at your limit.

If you want to get on a track i would start looking for HPDE (high performance drivers ed) events. These are usually put on by different groups like PCA, Chin, Drivers Edge, etc.. just look up HPDE. These events have several run groups and for beginners have classes and coaches to ride along and help. I have to say i was originally not into having someone in the car as i thought they would hold you back but it is just the opposite. These guys teach you how to go fast.

It is a bug as big is building cars that's for sure. I started with a couple HPDE events then ended up forming a team, building a car and then racing in the Champcar endurance series. I have almost 50 hours of wheel to wheel racing experience now.

I am bias but i think road racing is the best. Me and a couple friends have built a specific car just for racing

Go to https://www.motorsportreg.com/ create an account and search for track events in your area. SCCA, NASA run track day events and most tracks also hold their own track days. I'm in Virginia and have attended track days at VIR, Summit Point and Dominion Raceway. All of these tracks host SCCA HPDE and Track Nights, NASA events as well as their own events.Name:  TNiA07.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  1.10 MBName:  DR013.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  237.8 KB
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I want to get on a track badly, but I have safety concerns. I'm not sure if it's even much riskier than street driving or going down the freeway, but I get nervous with the higher speeds and potential interactions with other cars. I've stuck to autocross so far, because the speeds are very low and the chance of anyone getting hurt is minimized. I think a cage and 5pt harnesses would allay my safety concerns for the track, but I street drive my car 99% of the time and I use the backseat about half the time for my kids, so for now I will stick to autocross and look on jealously at the guys that are having more fun and seat time on the road course.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NOT A TA View Post
      Wow she's beautiful
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
      I want to get on a track badly, but I have safety concerns. I'm not sure if it's even much riskier than street driving or going down the freeway, but I get nervous with the higher speeds and potential interactions with other cars. I've stuck to autocross so far, because the speeds are very low and the chance of anyone getting hurt is minimized. I think a cage and 5pt harnesses would allay my safety concerns for the track, but I street drive my car 99% of the time and I use the backseat about half the time for my kids, so for now I will stick to autocross and look on jealously at the guys that are having more fun and seat time on the road course.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow she's beautiful
      Being concerned about safety is a good idea, for sure. While I have not tracked my car, I do believe at most of these events there are process in place to manage traffic to greatly minimize the chance of an altercation. Yes, one car may overtake another but its done in a controlled fashion. You’re not out there going door to door. I’d also want a 5pt harness but I think a rollbar would be sufficient. Detroit Speed makes one where the cross bar for the harness is removable which is supposed to keep the back seat useable. It would not be NHRA legal like that but should work for the occasional track day. Also be nice in autox as you can get tossed around a bit and it will keep you planted in the seat better.

Virtually all track days only allow cars on track in groups based on driver experience usually Novice, Intermediate and Advanced. A pass in any group is only allowed after the front car gives the overtaking car a point by and in Novice group passing is strictly limited to straightaways. I work at both Summit Point and Dominion Raceway as corner Marshall and/or on track recovery and I always tell new drivers in the driver meeting to only go as fast as you are comfortable. A track day is NOT a race it is supposed to be fun. But like anything there are always those who push too hard and they are the ones I usually have to go out on track and retrieve with the roll back. Here are a couple of examples of cars I picked up off the track. Track days can be a lot of fun but they can also be very expensive if you over drive your car. And just FYI, most comprehensive insurance does not pay for this kind of on track damage.

Name:  20180916_133131.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  276.1 KBName:  20191020_130012.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  353.6 KB
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Thanks Steve for explaining a bit more how things work on track days. It is encouraging to know traffic/passing is managed to avoid issues. Still I have a tendency to over drive my car when I lose my headspace, so when I do get out there I will have to really fight the urge to push it too hard and wad up the car.
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com