Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Chevelle Speedtech upper and lower control arm issues.

I just installed new upper and lower control arms on the 72 chevelle
      I have previously installed the chicane upper mount with ridetech coilovers.
      I'm using the stock GM short spindle with the howe .9 upper, .5 lower ball joint,as I did with the spc uca and lcas

I haven't done an alignment yet but the upper control arm ball joint is at a pretty extreme angle.

The lower ball joint is in line with the frame mount center line,so that's good.,

Also the lower arms seem to have pushed the wheels outward,more then the spc arms I had on before?

Need some help please.
      Thanks.
      Phil
      Attached Images Attached Images            
      72 chevelle.

Ordered ats tall spindles.
      Anybody want some. 9 and .5 tall howe studs?
      72 chevelle.

The ATS tall spindles will make your upper ball joint angle even worse if you keep the same ride height and control arms.

Think about it, the ATS spindle is 2" taller (vs your 1.4" taller ball joint setup). Sure, the ATS spindles have a one inch drop, but your 0.5" taller lower ball joint is giving you a 0.5" drop already. So assuming you want to keep the same ride height, your upper ball joint will actually be 0.1" higher with the ATS spindles, exacerbating your upper ball joint issue.

Your lower ball joints will be 0.5" lower so they'll be at less of an angle, which is a step in the right direction, assuming your coilovers have enough rebound travel.
      - Ryan

Country Flag: Canada
      The ATS spindle design has been purchased by speedtech .. speedtech then designed their control arms to best work with that spindle
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I'm sure everything will bolt together and probably function alright, but if I was paying top dollar for a matched suspension system, I (like the OP) would want the ball joints in a roughly "neutral" position at ride height. Going to the ATS spindles isn't going to help the upper ball joint angle concern.
      - Ryan

I want to say you're wrong but can admit I'm a touch out of my element regardless... speedtech is a major player in this game and many of the top dogs are using their equipment Alan Miller being one . I dont believe people would be using their parts if they didn't give you optimum geometry. Lets also keep in mind the OP hasn't got the new spindles installed nor had it aligned

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Bump because I am curious as to how the spindle solves the problem.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Lol me too Donny .. I just hit the internet for pics ... the ats spindle should raise the upper control arm to a more "flat " position. Which would help solve the ball joint angle . I mean from what I can see , I am a NASA engineer trained Dr scientologistName:  prdp_707.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  20.0 KB

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Hey guys I emailed speedtech,and Blake said the ball joint at that angle should be fine,but I did buy the ATS tall uprights.
      And I'm using the stock ball joints that came with the speedtech arms.
      I'll report back with pics once I get it in the ground.
      72 chevelle.

Quote Originally Posted by stab6902 View Post
      The ATS tall spindles will make your upper ball joint angle even worse if you keep the same ride height and control arms.

Think about it, the ATS spindle is 2" taller (vs your 1.4" taller ball joint setup). Sure, the ATS spindles have a one inch drop, but your 0.5" taller lower ball joint is giving you a 0.5" drop already. So assuming you want to keep the same ride height, your upper ball joint will actually be 0.1" higher with the ATS spindles, exacerbating your upper ball joint issue.

Your lower ball joints will be 0.5" lower so they'll be at less of an angle, which is a step in the right direction, assuming your coilovers have enough rebound travel.
      Maybe your assuming I'm going to run the tall ball joints with the ATS uprights
      I will be using the stock one provided by speedtech.
      72 chevelle.

Here's some pictures with the Afx Uprights
      72 chevelle.

Those are definitely a lot prettier.

The upper ball joint angle doesn't jump out at you as much with the shorter stud and the accordion style dust cover, but if you draw some imaginary lines, the angle looks to be about the same to me.
      - Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by stab6902 View Post

The uprights are 1.5 taller ,not 2.00
      From what I see,the upper control arm tubes need to be shorter,or the ball joint plates need.to be at a positive camber.
      Kinda scratching my head,because these parts SHOULD WORK TOGETHER.
      72 chevelle.

Interesting, their website must be out of date, or they make 2 versions now:

"ATS Tall Spindles aren’t just another visual makeover of a C4 Corvette spindle, they’re a completely new design meant to maximize geometry and performance handling. Manufactured from light weight and super strong forged 7075 T73 aluminum, the upper ball joint mount is raised 2″ to optimize camber curve, making a much greater improvement than merely adding a slightly taller ball joint to stock spindles."

https://speedtechperformance.com/pro...evelle-a-body/

How much drop is built into the spindles you have?
      - Ryan

Huh,your probably right!
      SH#T the part.has 1.5 etched on it huh???
      Sorry about that.

I messaged blake,Blake, if he chimes in.
      Oh,there 1 inch drop.

Im pretty much at the same ride height as before with the stock spindle tall ball joints but with spc control arms.
      No turning back I spent $$$$$ on all this stuff.
      72 chevelle.

Remove spring, remove bump stop on control arm, reinstall shock, run suspension through travel on both sides. If shock bottoms out before the ball joint, great!....... but I would figure out how much travel you have left in the ball joint.

If ball joint bottoms out first, your going to have a bad time eventually.
      Donny

I'll try that.

Donny,any diy tool I can make to separate the ball joint studs from the uprights without hammering on it like a forged spindle?

As I said in the previous post though,it seems the ball joint
      Angles are off,or the upper arms need to be shorter with any type of raised spindle,uprights or tall ball joints.

It's hard to tell by the pictures but the lower ball joint cups don't look to be in there center of travel.

At my ride height, the spc components,were in the sweet spot of the ball joint travel,sucks that I already sold those arms,
      I was in the impression this whole system would work better.

Now im not saying anything bad about the speedtech components,these are REALLY NICE Parts.

It's just strange I'm having these issues.
      I tried contacting Allen Miller with the red 70 chevelle that had a stock frame with all of speedtechs parts but he doesn't
      Answer my dm on Instagram.
      I do know he has the extreme frame now,so that might be why.
      72 chevelle.

https://allstarperformance.com/ball-...tool-all11174/ These work great, I'm sure you could build one.

It may all work better, but run through travel to make sure.
      Donny

Thanks donny for the link.
      Yeah it might,just seems weird that the ball joints have this issue,
      With all the same manufacturers components.
      72 chevelle.

Here's one I made out of a few bucks worth of 3/4" hardware from Menards. Only way to go if you don't want to beat on your spindles or mess up your dust boots with a pickle fork. You can drill a dimple on top of the bolts to keep them centered on the ball joint studs (though it's not necessary) and just use different length bolts for different sizes of spindles.

Name:  Balljoint spreader.JPG
Views: 613
Size:  35.2 KB
      - Ryan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com