Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Summit 8708 cam

Country Flag: United States

Summit 8708 cam

Would a summit 8708 cam installed on a lq9 with stock, non decked heads have sufficient ptv clearance? I’d check after installation ,but wondering if anyone has ran that cam in that motor , thanks.

That's a really big camshaft for an LQ9 even with it's stock compression. But if that size it what you're going for, their 8710R1 is the "extra clearance
      version of that cam. Performance should be nearly identical but with a little more PTV margin of safety (still verify!)

You really are going to want more compression, some deep rear gears, 3200-3500 stall if an automatic, and a valvetrain capable of 7000k.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

The lq9 is going in a 67 camaro , I have a t56 and ford 9 rear with 4.11 gears and a 335-30-18 rear tire. Have a fast lsxr 102 intake and headers , still need to grab some different injectors and a Holley terminator x max. Would a summit 8707r1 work better?

Quote Originally Posted by Camaros View Post
      The lq9 is going in a 67 camaro , I have a t56 and ford 9 rear with 4.11 gears and a 335-30-18 rear tire. Have a fast lsxr 102 intake and headers , still need to grab some different injectors and a Holley terminator x max. Would a summit 8707r1 work better?
      Yes, the 8707R1 would be a better choice. And you can comfortably get away with the stock 10:1 (but could still benefit from bumping compression another point of course). Be sure to get the associated springs, stronger pushrods, and do a trunnion upgrade to the rocker arms. You shouldn't have any problems making use of the long 6th od on the highway with that cam and the 4.11s. Healthy chop, decent street manners, pull hard from mid-range up, and still have the ability to pull past 6500rpm. Make a great autocross setup with the broad power range.

BTW, when you say headers, I'm assuming you mean long tubes. With shorty headers it's best to have the exhaust closing BTDC, as extending beyond that can cause reversion. (For example, the 8715R1 with it's -1* BTDC would be a better if running shorties).

The LSX 102 is a great addition. It'll really let out the potential of the cam and headers. A mild CNC port job on the 317s would complement it well if you can swing it, and really take advantage of the valve lift of the 8707R1.

I’ll try the 8707r1 cam kit and do the trunnions and pushrods. There long tube headers . Would Holley 42lb injectors be too big, thanks.

The 42lb would not be too big. And for power, if your fuel pressure is setup to be at 43.5psi @ WOT, they are just right. If you plan to run 58psi @ WOT, you'll have some headroom for some additional upgrades later on.

Thanks for the heads up 68Formula .

Sorry to bug too much , probably been asked here all over , what throttle body brand should I be looking for and should I run dbw or dbc ?

You may want to have the mods move this to the LSX section for more feedback.

First question, does the ECU you plan to use even have the drivers for the DBW? And then of course you'd need a pedal assembly with control box.

Before pulling the trigger on that cam, you may want to give Summit a call. They may be able to give you a different/better recommendation. The other thing that you could do if you have the stock cam and heads that you plan to run is take a measurement of your current cam PTV. You should be able to take that measurement and close the margin to get a very close measurement for your new PTV clearance. .600 lift is from what I've seen a middle of the road cam. Just make sure that the base circles are the same, or account for it in your measurements.

Do you have the flat top or dished pistons for your 6.0? It would also be helpful to know if you are running cathedral port or square port heads. You will have less PTV with the big valve square port heads. That will change how much lift you can run.

My suggestion is that if you haven't bought your Terminator ECU yet, go with the X Max even if you run DBC. I bought the base X ECU first, but found that having the X Max that could recognize my T56 VSS was very helpful for tuning and various commands. IE, I have my cooling fans shut off above 45 mph as well as activates my reverse lockout above 3 mph.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

While lift plays a role, the dominant factor in PTV clearances are the valve events relative to piston position.

I am thinking about buying a summit 8708 cam and before that I want to read reviews for it. I always read reviews online before buying anything. Even, I have also found website in which I can read reviews for an essay writer. Now, I can easily hire an essay writing service.

I believe the 8707r1 would be a great choice for your 6.0 especially with a manul trans and 411 gears. Probably be right around 500hp with that set up, that cams been proven time over time on dyno in near identical setups like yours.

I have the 8707R1 in my ls3
      Im running stiffer springs and trunion upgrade with terminator x max
      Although not driving yetit starts with a flick of the key and idles great

https://youtu.be/uKGKDdUS1ug
      1969 frost green camaro
      LS3
      Speedtech pro touring front subframe
      ridetech rear 4-link
      moser 12 bolt eaton tru trac 3.73

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com