Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Used TR6060 out of a '15 Camaro questions

So I am in the process of building a 67 C10. I picked up a L96 6.0 w/ 6L90E trans last year out of a 2018 Express Van. I want to run a manual so I sold the tranny and am now looking for a manual to replace. I found a guy locally that has a take out Tr6060 out of a 2015 Camaro. I don't know anything about these trannys at all. I watched a video and I see it has electronics to it and also tranny cooling lines I guess. I have used a Tremec TKO 600 in the past and no electronics or trans lines were needed.

Do I need to use these tranny lines and electronics? Will I have to somehow plug all that into my existing harness for the L96? It looks like it has a different kind of yoke for the driveshaft as well. looks like it needs a slip yoke or something. Is this something that can be converted to a regular driveshaft or will have to have something custom made to fit.

Thanks, Erik

The cooler lines you will need to do something with. I’m not sure how, but some people eliminate them. The plugs from your harness won’t work, but you can work around that. You will have the vss, but that can be wired stand alone, reverse lock out: that you can use an aftermarket controller for from American power train or samaco. Or you can power through the lockout, my controller broke on my 6060 allowing constant access to reverse, so I unplugged it and have yet to fix it. Idk if the 15 will have it, but my 12 had a skip shift eliminator and that has just stayed unplugged.

The driveshaft will have to be custom with a slip built in the shaft. The shaft is pretty pricey.

I used a TR606 in my LS swapped '57 Chevy 3100. Right now the cooler lines are looped, but I will install a cooler before the body goes back on. The electrics are for the following:
      1. reverse light: use to switch reverse lights
      2. reverse lock out: power with brake light
      3. speed sensor: I don't use; i have GPS speedometer

Last I used Core Shifters to get the base and handle that are sufficient height for the truck bench. It's super nice

Also Sonnax makes a flange adapter to mount a conventional u-joint. Inland Empire built the 2 piece, slip joint driveshaft for me

Hey Erik,

I converted my TR6060 to a T56 magnum using a tailshaft conversion from Tick Performance. It requires the removal and replacement of the mainshaft as well as the new tail shaft housing. Very labor intensive, but really wasn't too bad. I detailed my conversion in my build starting at post #640.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...Pincher/page32

Not only does the conversion convert the trans to use a traditional style slip yoke, but it bumps up the torque rating the trans will handle. Tick confirmed that since internally the transmissions are the same, with the upgraded mainshaft the trans would be rated at the same 700 lb. ft.

As for the electronics, the trans will function without anything hooked up. What I would suggest is getting the reverse lockout functioning, as well as the reverse lights and VSS. If you keep the Camaro tailshaft, you have a 17 tooth gear, but if you go with the T56 Magnum tailshaft it uses a ford style sensor and gear that has 12 teeth. It still reads the same, but will require some tuning to get your VSS right.

Excellent transmission by the way. It is way smoother than the LS1 style T56 I swapped out.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com