Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Are parts you need for your ride backordered like the ones I need?

It seems like half the stuff out there is backordered and it's delaying my project.
      Are you folks having the same problem?
      I've got several issues right now. A backordered LS oil pan, front accessory drive, and front suspension.
      The suspension is the worst offender as I ordered it in September and my camaro is on blocks waiting for it.
      (not sure it's appropriate to put the company names on here but they are well known)
      Very frustrating.

Country Flag: United States
      8 to 24 weeks for parts I have on order - and one supplier won't commit to a timeline or take an order right now because of their supply. Now that I have my subframe and suspension I am getting most as fast as I need them anyway though. Part of the delay is materials for them, and some is just lead time to manufacture since they are low demand parts.

Ordered and paid for an OER Convertible top frame for first gen Camaro back in April 2021 from Summit Racing and no sign of it yet, they keep moving the goal post . I think the cargo ship sunk and they are afraid to tell me.
      Sent an online payment to Scoggin - Dicky for some Gen VI BBC head gaskets next day get my money refunded back so guess they didn't have those.
      It's really simple vendors.... putting "out of stock" on your website parts would be very helpful.

Now having to decide if I want to go through this crap again with my next project a 69 Camaro build or sell it off.
      Rant over, I needed that lol
      BB

Some perspective from someone who works in aftermarket automotive…

Demand this last year has been insane. We have no idea who’s using all these parts but the orders keep coming in to the tune of 25% over capacity in some cases. We’ve ordered new equipment but that is taking over a year in some cases in part because it takes time to build and in part because of the travel restrictions due to Covid.
      There is a global nylon shortage for molded parts and everyone is scrambling to get material for production including figuring out what works as a substitute.
      There is also a shortage of some alloys for machined parts and mill runs can take 40 weeks.
      Also there’s an IC chip shortage for electronic components. We’ve pushed a launch out a year for lack of components.
      Matched up with shipping delays, I don’t expect the current situation to clear up until the 4th quarter of 2022.

I believe after nearly two years of this I'm not out of line for asking if you've been living under a rock?
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

The wait is killing me. A rear clip that should have taken 3 months is now going on 5. Then I can measure for new wheels. I wonder how long Forgeline wheels will take? Probably just as long.

I don't see it getting better anytime soon. I'd be surprised if it's better even by the end of this year. Parts that have never been an issue are all of the sudden months out on backorder and most manufacturers can't give ETA's because they don't know when they'll have raw materials. We got a notice from a supplier yesterday that they have the parts in stock but can't give us a ship date due to the fact that they don't have anyone to work in the shipping dept. With every kind of Covid or Flu going around right now many places are also short staffed worse than they were 6 months ago when they couldn't find enough help.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Quote Originally Posted by 68conv455 View Post
      It seems like half the stuff out there is backordered and it's delaying my project.
      Are you folks having the same problem?
      I've got several issues right now. A backordered LS oil pan, front accessory drive, and front suspension.
      The suspension is the worst offender as I ordered it in September and my camaro is on blocks waiting for it.
      (not sure it's appropriate to put the company names on here but they are well known)
      Very frustrating.
      Not sure who you are dealing with for suspension but I had my BMR front suspension at my door within two weeks. Only took that long because The Viking coilers are built per order

What is complete BS is paying up front for backordered parts. Bill me when you are ready to ship. Thats fair.

I just ordered a set of Ridler rims and was told 3 months wait time.
      Ahmad B.

Quote Originally Posted by 79T/Aman View Post
      I believe after nearly two years of this I'm not out of line for asking if you've been living under a rock?
      Lol,I love this, it's true.

Everything is in demand.
      72 chevelle.

Quote Originally Posted by KEGS73 View Post
      Not sure who you are dealing with for suspension but I had my BMR front suspension at my door within two weeks. Only took that long because The Viking coilers are built per order
      I used speedtech a couple months ago to redo the front of the chevelle, I only waited a week or too.
      I'd recommend them.
      72 chevelle.

So I work as an airplane mechanic in my own family run business focused on single engine fixed gear aircraft.. I do a lot of what is known as “tube and fabric” airplanes, some engine overhauls and have a few parts that are FAA approved that I sell..

My products are primarily machined aluminum 6061-T6 and the material has been skyrocketing in costs lately.. I have been having real problems getting a specific metric size O-Ring that is needed for my main product line..

I have also been waiting on cylinders.. Lycoming cylinder’s are back ordered 8 to 10 weeks.. Have a Continental engine at a rebuilders for almost a year now.. Lifters are also on back order..

I have also been waiting for a turn signal switch for my kit car.. Last I check it’s supposed to ship first of May, been waiting since December..

Brian

I’ve been waiting 4 months for parts to fix my daily driver! That has sucked more than the project parts being back ordered

I don't envy you guys trying to restore/build a car at this point in time... what a mess created by these dip$h!ts running the country right now (or rather ruining).
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

Ordered a full ridetech shockwave/ride pro e5 set up with strong arms up front. Willwood Aero6 and superlites for the brakes was in stock….

But then the rear shockwaves were out of stock. hopefully another week or two.

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      I'm rebuilding a Toyota 20R engine for a Locost (Lotus 7 tribute. It's kind of a thing,) I ordered a set catalog pistons August 12. Delivery was promised end of October, fine, gave my head porter time to go thru the head. Took the head in in September, he finished it right around Christmas.

Called on the pistons end of October, delayed until end of December, Called new years week, delayed until the end of January, called first week of February, delayed delayed delayed.

This is for a 20R, probably the most used engine in the Toyota lineup between about 1975 and 1981, every pickup and Celica had one. So I guess the lesson for me is there's no negative impact to ordering a custom part...

As it applies in general, maybe the next car I build will include more modified stock stuff rather trick purchased stuff
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Holley BBC EFI intakes also look to be scarce. Got my rear quarters, now waiting on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rb_69camaro View Post
      The wait is killing me. A rear clip that should have taken 3 months is now going on 5. Then I can measure for new wheels. I wonder how long Forgeline wheels will take? Probably just as long.
      Quote Originally Posted by BernardWilliamson View Post
      A rear clip that should have taken 3 months is now going on 5. Then I can measure for new wheels. I wonder how long Forgeline wheels will take? Probably just as long.
      Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin

ban hammer
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com