Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: cpp brakes?

Country Flag: United States

cpp brakes?

Has anyone used the CPP big brake conversion with C5 spindles etc. on a 64-67 Chevelle or another A-body? They advertise it as a zero-offset system(drum brake offset) which is what I need to clear my wheel/tire setup I currently have on the car. They also have a rear brake kit that is set up for a BOP 10/12 bolt that had bolt in axles and I thought about running their product front and rear. Not sure what MC to use yet either since I'm sticking with manual brakes also. Thanks

70 Camaro 383/700r4 no place to hide
      1966 Buick Special cheaper than a Chevelle but just as fun!
      2019 ZL1/1LE track day missile

I had the CPP front/rear disc brake conversion(not the C5 stuff) on my 69 cutlass. The fronts were fine and definitely got me into a disc brake setup. The rears, if they are still using the D154(aka metrics calipers, aka eldorado calipers) with the integrated parking brake, are a complete nightmare. I wasted years trying to get them properly adjusted and could never get a solid pedal. Out of frustration after 6 years I swapped to the wilwood D154 caliper WITHOUT the parking brake, and instant solid pedal and better braking feel overall.

Now, I don't know if the D154 caliper piston area is suitable to run with the C5 piston area, but it's important to make sure they percentages are correct . I would just say stay away form the D154 with integrated parking brake at all cost. Hope this helps.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech442 View Post
      I had the CPP front/rear disc brake conversion(not the C5 stuff) on my 69 cutlass. The fronts were fine and definitely got me into a disc brake setup. The rears, if they are still using the D154(aka metrics calipers, aka eldorado calipers) with the integrated parking brake, are a complete nightmare. I wasted years trying to get them properly adjusted and could never get a solid pedal. Out of frustration after 6 years I swapped to the wilwood D154 caliper WITHOUT the parking brake, and instant solid pedal and better braking feel overall.

Now, I don't know if the D154 caliper piston area is suitable to run with the C5 piston area, but it's important to make sure they percentages are correct . I would just say stay away form the D154 with integrated parking brake at all cost. Hope this helps.
      Thanks for the info and it’s what I’m looking for as far as advise. Their system for the front is the only one I’ve come across that is a zero offset. It’s something I gotta have unless I step down on tire size which isn’t in my plans!
      70 Camaro 383/700r4 no place to hide
      1966 Buick Special cheaper than a Chevelle but just as fun!
      2019 ZL1/1LE track day missile

I've not heard anything really good about CPP, only that they are called "Chinese Poor Products" or "Chinese Poo Poo." YMMV
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

Personally I'd look into just swapping 4th gen F body F&R brakes. Might not be "zero offset" considering the thickness of a drum mounting surface VS disc mounting surface, but you're looking at a minute difference.

Tobin @ Kore3 should have the width differences if you really do have the tires pushed to the absolute limit of space.

The kit I'm looking at from CPP uses 11" 1979-81 Malibu brake rotors and 1981-92 S10 calipers so I'm not worried about Chinese parts.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com