Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Mr. B's 69 Camaro

Once upon a time...

This project started for me 25+ years ago. I have recently rebuilt the original front subframe with new paint and suspension. Chris Alston's Chassisworks tubular control arms, varishock adjustable coilovers, billet alum dropped spindles, sway bar, and bumpsteer set. A 13" 6 piston front big brake kit from Wilwood. A stout 408 LS stroker, gen 3 on engine stand with AFR heads customized by Tony Mamo. Port matched Holley single plane split intake. No carb yet. Tremec TKO600. In the rear, Im currently waiting on a 3 link style rear clip w/ Watts link. Adjustable coilovers. Narrowed 9" housing upgraded with a floater kit & back brace.

That pretty much brings me to where I am now. Waiting on the rear clip so I can proceed with measuring for rims, and so forth. Ive been told the floater kit is the cause of the delay. I ordered a mini tub kit too with that rear clip. Something I could be working on now instead of sitting and waiting(almost 5 months!). Anyways, any thoughts to keep this project moving forward or general advice would be appreciated. I plan to upload photos soon, so you can see the progress ive made. Thx!

B.Attachment 195310Name:  20210826_112112.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  375.9 KBAttachment 195314Name:  006.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  319.2 KBName:  012.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  343.7 KBName:  025.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  301.4 KBAttachment 195312
      Last edited by Rb_69camaro; 01-05-2022 at 09:11 PM. Reason: photos

Yeah u gotta love those body guys. There are so many of them that live by ripping people off. I think most people have gone though some of that. Stay with it. If u get it done u will forget that part of it. Car looks pretty decent.

Great story, this will be a fun build to follow. Looks like you have a great starting point.

Nice! Just about to embark on my first 69 project. What paint did you use on the frame? Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by MTBSully View Post
      Nice! Just about to embark on my first 69 project. What paint did you use on the frame? Looks great!
      Thx. I used a gravity feed gun painting the subframe. After stripping I used an epoxy primer for the first coat and thought I could just leave it at that. It turned from black to a dull gray. So I went back to the paint store for some real black paint to cover the epoxy and some clear coat. Im new to this so it wasn't a seamless process. I spent alot of time re-sanding and re-spraying.

Cool, looking forward to seeing more!
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

I think you will be better off replacing the whole floor and trunk, maybe frame rails too. Welding up good sheetmetal isn't that hard with some practice on scraps, but filling in the holes you have will be frustrating at best, the metal when it get's to the point in your pictures is so thin it's just going to burn through and make more holes.

Quote Originally Posted by srode View Post
      I think you will be better off replacing the whole floor and trunk, maybe frame rails too. Welding up good sheetmetal isn't that hard with some practice on scraps, but filling in the holes you have will be frustrating at best, the metal when it get's to the point in your pictures is so thin it's just going to burn through and make more holes.
      Definitely x2

Nice project. I'd cut it out and replace with new metal. You will just be chasing your tail with the pinholes.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Ditto on the replacement of the floor. It will be a better result, easier to weld and you will be much happier. I used AMD floor i think about 450.00 and fitment was pretty good. for rear you can actually order a trunk floor already welded to frame rails and cut for minitubs. I did that from real deal steel in florida. It was pretty easy to get fitted. Your already off to a good start on the frame and bat least the new metal you already have. Might 8 ask have a. New floor and then your car is actually solid.
      Jason
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

3 Link has arrived, what a beauty.

8 months though.

Name:  20220407_193322.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  449.9 KBName:  20220407_193356.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  346.4 KB

Sweet! Who did that chassis build for you?

art morrison.

Quarter Panel skins

I had quarter panel skins put in 20 years ago, as well as the outer/inner wheel house. I wish I had gone with full rear quarters because theres an ugly seam running across the inside of both quarters. The guy doing the repair overlapped the old and new metal and spot welded them together. Theres also quite a bit of bondo on top of the quarters. This was done because looking at the rear of the car they were not symmetrical. Right now Im having someone put in DSE mini tubs in and again theres fitment issues. Large gaps where the floor, tubs, and wheel house meet on the drivers side. Passenger side looks ok. I believe this is a result of the poorly fitting skins. Im not sure if I should replace the skins now with full quarters or just finish the tub install. Then spray the whole car with epoxy primer to seal and protect it. Then continue with the build and come back to the issues in the rear later. I really want to start driving this car. Ive been storing it for over 25 years. I have nearly everything I need to get it going in my garage. Engine, trans, etc. I have a new rear clip with a 3 link already in.

Good luck with the build!