Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

best option for a chevelle frame

so i picked up a new project, its a 64 beaumont SD so pretty much a chevelle, my question is can a stock frame be made to handle as well as an aftermarket frame for a little less investment or is it best to go with a full frame replacement? i want to build a 500-600hp 5 spd car that will handle well, and brake well. Road coarse and slalom type driving.

just looking at where the best place to spend the money, I have had a bad habit of just buying parts randomly and then changing direction later and having wasted money on parts i dont use.

just looking for the best advice, thanks.
      Rob

61 t bird (sold)
      72 Nova 496bbc
      85 capri rs (sold)
      84 mustang lx "coupri" (sold)
      64 Beaumont SD
      65 Beaumont SD

Country Flag: United States
      I would start with either a Speedtech or Summit Racing chassis bracing kit and the ABC performance frame notch kit. After that choose a nice bolt on system, front and rear from the same vendor. Aftermarket chassis are very nice, but they usually start a trickle down effect of other more expensive parts like headers, tunnel work and fuel tanks. Lots of guys having fun with their cars not using aftermarket chassis.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Go check out videos on Ridetechs 66 Chevelle
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Boxing the frame and adding braces will make a HUGE difference to an A body frame. Will it be a Morrison frame? Nope. But like csouth said with a beefed stock frame and a full suspension makeover it will handle amazingly compared to stock.
      Worlds Fastest LFX powered 1966 Chevelle, with a 3.6L/217 CI, 4 cam direct injected V6, 6 speed auto, full Hotchkis suspension, 4 wheel Wilwood discs, white w/red interior, cowl hood. 3260 lbs w/full tank.

The parts I recommended is for a street driver and will not be the best for road course racing.

I think keeping the stock frame and boxing it or use the A.O.Smith # 1942 frame. It only came on the 68 to 72 el Camino or 69 to 72 Pontiac Grand Prix Model J. I would also need a little extra bracing and the upper control arm brackets moved back and squared with the frame.

Name:  IMG_0768.jpg
Views: 5541
Size:  596.1 KBName:  IMG_0763.jpg
Views: 4078
Size:  604.8 KBName:  IMG_0762.jpg
Views: 3802
Size:  719.0 KBName:  El camino frame.JPG
Views: 4019
Size:  149.8 KB

so if i use the stock frame what are my best options for control arms , and frame strengthening kits?
      Rob

61 t bird (sold)
      72 Nova 496bbc
      85 capri rs (sold)
      64 Beaumont SD
      65 Beaumont SD

Hpi customs is the maker of the summit frame brace kit , them or speedtech are my suggestions. Speedtech also makes lots of suspension parts..Eg. AFX spindle which will make massive differences to handling and steering
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Is it me? Am I losing it?
      I thought there was a post on this thread yesterday about relocating the front upper control arms rearward 2”. it’s not here anymore but it’s referenced by pitts64 in his post. Does anyone else remember this?
      I’d certainly like to learn more about this mod.
      Worlds Fastest LFX powered 1966 Chevelle, with a 3.6L/217 CI, 4 cam direct injected V6, 6 speed auto, full Hotchkis suspension, 4 wheel Wilwood discs, white w/red interior, cowl hood. 3260 lbs w/full tank.

Quote Originally Posted by aidanfancystang View Post
      so if i use the stock frame what are my best options for control arms , and frame strengthening kits?
      That's like asking "what pizza is the best?"

There are a dozen companies that have been around for decades that offer great products. You should explore all of those options and decide what's best for you.

I am installing ridetech suspension of my 70 GTO. I also had a buddy with a 70 GTO that used the Hellwig frame boxing kit, and it was very well designed, although it is more expensive than other options.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Yep, I remember seeing it. Something similar to the Gulstrand mod though 2" sounds a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by 67-LS1 View Post
      Is it me? Am I losing it?
      I thought there was a post on this thread yesterday about relocating the front upper control arms rearward 2”. it’s not here anymore but it’s referenced by pitts64 in his post. Does anyone else remember this?
      I’d certainly like to learn more about this mod.
      '72 Cutlass - 370" LS2 topped w/a LSA blower

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Apocalypse View Post
      Yep, I remember seeing it. Something similar to the Gulstrand mod though 2" sounds a bit much.
      That’s what I thought. 2” was A LOT.
      I wonder what happened to the post?

Quote Originally Posted by 67-LS1 View Post
      That’s what I thought. 2” was A LOT.
      I wonder what happened to the post?

I did see that one as well and it had me wanting to find out more on that. but yes 2" seems quite extreme.
      Rob

61 t bird (sold)
      72 Nova 496bbc
      85 capri rs (sold)
      64 Beaumont SD
      65 Beaumont SD

I did some reading about the Guldstrand mod and it appears to be a Camaro mod that moves the upper control arm frame holes down 1” and .25” rearwards. There are debates about whether this is a viable option for Chevelles.

And it seems to have been kind of obsoleted by the advent of tall spindles or tall ball joints.

Instead of closing up the spread between the inner mounts for the upper and lower control arms, the tall spindle or tall ball joints spread out the ball joint ends of the arms.

Sorry this got off track…

The UMI LeMans went through the tri oval at Daytona at 165 on a stock frame and with our #cornermax kit.

It has a boxed frame and a moderate cage.

https://youtu.be/mr_6uMG_0xA

The rear suspension is the factory converging 4-link with UMI arms and sway bar.
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by UMI Tech View Post
      The UMI LeMans went through the tri oval at Daytona at 165 on a stock frame and with our #cornermax kit.

It has a boxed frame and a moderate cage.

https://youtu.be/mr_6uMG_0xA

The rear suspension is the factory converging 4-link with UMI arms and sway bar.
      I was behind the LeMans @ the Summit Autorama in 2019, that car was flat as a pancake going through the autocross.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

While the aftermarket chassis choices are nice, the price gets steep really quick when you start adding on the ancillary items. We put an Art Morrison under a 64, and while the quality was very nice and the car rides like a Cadillac, the full delivery price after options was $25K. That was 5 years ago and prices are up a bit since then. A SpeedTech ExtReme chassis is another good one if you are looking for more of a track day setup, but again you are going to be north of $20K buy the time you option it out and pay for freight. We are putting the Speedtech stuff under a 70 Camaro and it's built like a tank. But don't overlook utilizing your factory chassis. GM really wasn't too far off the mark when they designed the mounting points for the suspension. It's the extremely short steering knuckles and poor factory alignment specs that kill the platform instantly. Tony at ABC Performance is an extremely talented guy with a lot of engineering experience that carries over from his days at the GM proving grounds plus he has a huge pot to pull from in his network. There is a reason his 2 Ton Chevelle can keep up with cars that are lighter and more technically advanced. At the 2021 Motorstate Challenge his car came in First (Co-Driver Mathew Braun), Third (With Tony at the wheel) and pulled the fastest Track Sprint Time (Mathew again) in the Manufacturers Vintage Class. Same goes for the Northeast Muscle Car Challenge, Mathew took first place in road race, autocross and Grand Champion. Granted he is an extremely fast talented driver (I have ridden with both of them and Mathew is on a whole other level!!) but having a car that can hold up to that and hook the way it does is simply amazing and says a lot about Tony's products and the engineering he puts into them. Regardless of which option you go with, unless your driving level is at the point of pushing the car to its absolute limit, you probably won't see much of a difference between the options. I used to think that the aftermarket chassis is the most competitive option, but after riding with Tony and Mathew and getting to know Tony and where his background is, I would give ABC a strong consideration.
      Name:  20161003_141925.jpg
Views: 3709
Size:  265.4 KBName:  20200912_151130.jpg
Views: 3660
Size:  456.6 KBName:  20210716_141309.jpg
Views: 3679
Size:  182.3 KB
      -Mike

Tony definitely knows his stuff and I also have had a ride in his 70 ... wow its awesome
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I have also spoke with Tony on the stock chassis,and spindles.
      I currently have the stock short spindle with tall ball joints,with speedtech upper and lowers.
      I might go afx spindle but tony. Said the stock spindle is pretty strong,he runs the dse tall spindle with tobins kore3 hubs.
      Which I might go with a custom hub from tobin with the larger set3 .750 I'd outter bearing.
      72 chevelle.

Quote Originally Posted by GEARBOXGARAGE View Post
      While the aftermarket chassis choices are nice, the price gets steep really quick when you start adding on the ancillary items. We put an Art Morrison under a 64, and while the quality was very nice and the car rides like a Cadillac, the full delivery price after options was $25K. That was 5 years ago and prices are up a bit since then. A SpeedTech ExtReme chassis is another good one if you are looking for more of a track day setup, but again you are going to be north of $20K buy the time you option it out and pay for freight. We are putting the Speedtech stuff under a 70 Camaro and it's built like a tank. But don't overlook utilizing your factory chassis. GM really wasn't too far off the mark when they designed the mounting points for the suspension. It's the extremely short steering knuckles and poor factory alignment specs that kill the platform instantly. Tony at ABC Performance is an extremely talented guy with a lot of engineering experience that carries over from his days at the GM proving grounds plus he has a huge pot to pull from in his network. There is a reason his 2 Ton Chevelle can keep up with cars that are lighter and more technically advanced. At the 2021 Motorstate Challenge his car came in First (Co-Driver Mathew Braun), Third (With Tony at the wheel) and pulled the fastest Track Sprint Time (Mathew again) in the Manufacturers Vintage Class. Same goes for the Northeast Muscle Car Challenge, Mathew took first place in road race, autocross and Grand Champion. Granted he is an extremely fast talented driver (I have ridden with both of them and Mathew is on a whole other level!!) but having a car that can hold up to that and hook the way it does is simply amazing and says a lot about Tony's products and the engineering he puts into them. Regardless of which option you go with, unless your driving level is at the point of pushing the car to its absolute limit, you probably won't see much of a difference between the options. I used to think that the aftermarket chassis is the most competitive option, but after riding with Tony and Mathew and getting to know Tony and where his background is, I would give ABC a strong consideration.
      Name:  20161003_141925.jpg
Views: 3709
Size:  265.4 KBName:  20200912_151130.jpg
Views: 3660
Size:  456.6 KBName:  20210716_141309.jpg
Views: 3679
Size:  182.3 KB
      Tell tony,and t.j. that they need to be more active on the forum and social media!
      72 chevelle.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com