Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

My 64 Nova hardtop money pit

thought it was time you seen my project. Bought it a year ago in Hemit, as a 327 4 speed car. Been broke and lurking the classifieds ever since. Now its a 140K mile pullout 5.3, with a Summit Turbo cam, LS6 intake, LT headers, Holley 92mm TB, Terminator X, LS3 water pump, ITC, Dirty Dingy low PS AC mount, infraction to my checking account. Luckily found a used rebuilt GTO T56 6 speed and a Monster clutch. Pulled an Explorer rear end out of the junkyard narrowed it and moved the stock mono leafs inboard just a bit. Runniny 275/18's out back and 245/18's up front. Church Boys 4 link is on deck in the corner of the garage, along with a 2" mini tub.

Its a total blast to drive with the GComp front end and R&P steering. Wasn't an easy job but well worth the effort.

More to follow!!!

Name:  20211203_194220.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  213.8 KBName:  20211222_100341.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  280.4 KBName:  IMG_20200409_044931_143.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  314.0 KBName:  20211201_094424.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  660.6 KB

Country Flag: United States
      Good looking car. Love the color

Very nice looking Nova. I love the LS conversion.

So clean, love it, would like to see some pictures of the suspension

I'm normally not a first gen nova guy but that looks fantastic. Great job.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Great looking ride. I have a 66 Chevy II that I just finished rebuilding from the ground up. Sounds like you're happy with the G-Comp front end. Did you go with the standard clip or the Unser edition? Any complaints or major hurdles installing it? I put a CPP clip on mine because that's what my budget allowed at the time, but have been strongly considering a change to something else and the Speedway clip has always caught my eye. I'm also curious on what you did to move the leaf springs inboard. Any pics?

Guys thanks for all the replies sorry I haven't had time to respond we've been wrenching on the Nova.

New mini tubs done, Churchboys Racing 4 link installed with subframe connectors. New Moser 9 inch with a spool, which sucks for autoX. Full 3" exhaust by ScottsdaleMufflers and its so choice but i hate the Neighbor Hater mufflers, they sound like glasspacks. Shady Indy 500 tires and we trailered it to Del Mar Goodguys Autocross, untested, Roadkill style.

We were lucky enough to pit next to Keith Corrigan and his ultra quick 55 Tbird. With much help from Keith and Dewayne, I went from a 42 second lap to a PB of 38.8. Many thanks to everyone who helped especially Dante at Murillo Fab works, wouldn't have happened without you.

We drove the car home from Del Mar to Phoenix on Sunday after 26 total autoX runs. Car got 22MPG and i wanna do it again!!

Just measured for fatter wheels, RT660's and a Truetrac. Can't wait to see you all at Scottsdale!!

Name:  20221002_234537.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  689.1 KB

https://youtube.com/shorts/_wvsoHaRo4w?feature=share

https://youtu.be/EMSoKA4scng

https://youtu.be/d1jSBAXPJKY

https://youtu.be/L_gGSiugu8c

That last pictures the wheels have a bronze hue to them, that would be a great color on the wheels with that paint color. (Not that it doesn't look good now)
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Beautiful car and great story! Good luck going to Scottsdale!!! Please post how you do there.

Beautiful car and job well done! If it were mine, I would suggest shaving the bumper bolts.

Sweet ride, like the color combo and black out. I am working on a 67 sedan that I plan on using the Gcomp front and rear suspension on.

It looks like you are the cover car on lateral-g.net for the Del Mar coverage.

Nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
      That last pictures the wheels have a bronze hue to them, that would be a great color on the wheels with that paint color. (Not that it doesn't look good now)
      Thank you, actually considering that color combo now.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSU68 View Post
      Beautiful car and great story! Good luck going to Scottsdale!!! Please post how you do there.
      Thanks will do!

Quote Originally Posted by StevieBB54 View Post
      Beautiful car and job well done! If it were mine, I would suggest shaving the bumper bolts.
      Good suggestion. I will add it to my ever growing list of things to do! 😆

Quote Originally Posted by Jk918 View Post
      Sweet ride, like the color combo and black out. I am working on a 67 sedan that I plan on using the Gcomp front and rear suspension on.
      TY, your gonna love the front clip, so smooth and tight, so easy to adjust.👍

Quote Originally Posted by rchaskin View Post
      It looks like you are the cover car on lateral-g.net for the Del Mar coverage.

Nice!!
      Whoah, thanks for sharing. Certainly unexpected..

Quote Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
      Dude, nice eye and now I have to #DoitforDale

Quote Originally Posted by NCSU68 View Post
      So the car did very well. I was actually able to talk with Robby Unser at some length on the suspension setup, while we couldn't achieve the lower ride height adjustment he suggested, the rest of his advice was gold. I think we ended up middle of the pack in the Street Machine class which was great.

Here is a video of one run.
      https://youtu.be/xZIRjDirX8A

Some updates on the car. I've changed my mind not going with the LSA blower but rather a NA LS2 to shave another #100 off the nose of the car. Currently modifying the radiator core to accept a much larger C&R radiator. Waiting on the new 13" Baer front brakes and Turn1 power steering pump, should have them this week. The new wider Rocket Racing Attack wheels (18x9 and 18x10) showed up and should allow me to drop the ride height to Robby's lower number and allow the 255 tire to fit up front. Finding brakes to clear the wheels without changing my track width was a month long challenge, hopefully everything lines up.

Doing Scottsdale and Del Mar Goodguys AutoX again next month. Really stoked for LS Fest in Vegas and then Laguna Seca optima street car in May. Have met so many inspirational people through this car, cant wait to start getting faster.

Name:  Rocket racing attack wheels.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  158.7 KBName:  Radiator core chop.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  31.3 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com