Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Troubleshoot DeVilbiss Finishline

I've got a Devilbiss FinishLine (the initial one, before they added numbers to them). It's been sitting for about 25 years now.

I broke it out last week to spray the underside of my hood and it did not work.

It spat out of the cup vent rather than spraying, and once I loosened the cup lid I could hear it blowing (a lot of) air through the paint in the cup.

My assumption is that the needle packing seal is shot, but (predictably) replacement seals are no longer available. I did pull it apart and tighten things appropriately without any improvement.

Any suggestions, or should I start shopping for a replacement gun?

Pretty sure it’s the seals. I’ve got a Finishline kit here that I no longer use. Maybe between the two you can get something working. You are welcome to it if you pay postage or pick it up.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Reckon I'll take you up on that. PM incoming.

A shout-out to Don for hooking me up with a couple of guns that one can actually still get parts for, and also I've found what looks to be The Answer To The Initial Question.

Went on Amazon to find tip seals for the FLG3/FLG4 (don't do that, they're insanely marked up there), and the first comment on the seal was "My paint gun was getting air backwards into the paint canister.
      This seal did the trick.
      ".. so sounds like bad tip seal will do exactly what I saw. Not that you can get the tip seals for the first-gen FinishLine guns anymore.

Next week when the FLG3/4 seals arrive, I'll be able to verify but it looks promising.

Or order a airgunza,iwata
      Primer gun.
      They work ALOT better then the finish line guns
      72 chevelle.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com