Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Front and Rear Rotor Sizing?

Should the rotors be the same or should front be larger? Looking to get Wilwood Dynalite 12.19" rotors in the rear and Wilwood C5 12.80" rotors in the front. I hate to have to ask because it seems so basic but I'm new to this so I double check everything before ordering. Will this work out for my 1970 Nova?

Country Flag: United States
      No need to worry, and on a custom brake system you will use an adjustable valve to tailor your brake bias anyway.
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

Rotor diameter is most critical for heat dissipation, not necessarily braking torque. So long as you’re not overheating the front rotors you should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by 65 drop top View Post
      Rotor diameter is most critical for heat dissipation, not necessarily braking torque. So long as you’re not overheating the front rotors you should be good.
      Is bigger(heavier) always better with brakes? Are there brake kits that are smaller(lighter) that can deal with the heat from auto x/road racing? It seems like when you buy a front or rear clip the braking options offered are limited.

Brakes are unsprung weight, and of course the rotors are rotating mass as well, so you don't really want to go any bigger/heavier than you need. How big you need to go will depend on your vehicle's weight, horsepower, intended use, and how aggressive (dusty/noisy) of a pad you want to use. Of course aesthetics often come into play as well.

Brake caliper piston diameter generally has a bigger impact on front/rear brake balance than rotor diameter. I recommend discussing your goals for the car with your brake system supplier and having them point you in the right direction. It's easy to get into trouble if you're mixing and matching without a good understanding of what you're doing - resulting in having to buy twice.

In most cases, I personally prefer late model OEM brakes for serviceability and value, and Tobin at Kore3 is the guy to talk to on this topic.
      - Ryan

Since around 70% of your braking is typically done by the front wheels, the front rotors are generally larger or at least have larger/more pistons on the front.

If you have an adjustable proportioning valve, you should be able to adjust for nearly any combination

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com