Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Corvette Wheels on a Heavier Car

Howdy,

With the shear number of C5-C7 Corvettes out there, there are a lot of wheels available off of these cars in an appealing offset for attempting to match the C5/6 suspension geometry. The down side is my car is about 500-800lbs heavier than the Corvette depending on the generation so I'm wondering if for driving on roads with potholes, speed bumps, etc if this would be major negative to the durability of the wheels?

Thanks
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      Experimental Physicist

'64 Riviera T-type: 4.1L Buick Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 OBDII SEFI swap

ROA# 9790

I would imagine that the safety margin designed into the wheels could very easily carry the extra weight. Even just two big guys getting into a vette could be 500 lbs.

Also lighter wheels=less sprung weight. Car should feel more nimble, agile and easier to stop. I don’t think there’s any negatives to putting on lighter wheels.

I've arguably got one of the heavier cars here and have had Corvette wheels for several years.

Country Flag: Canada
      I ran C5 Z06 Take offs and china knock offs making 1000rwhp for several years with adapters at 3860lbs. Never had an issue. Id stay away from the C6 grandsport wheels as they crack looking at them along with the C5 Magnesium wheels.
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

I doubt I’ll get my Riviera under 4000lbs and am mainly looking at the 18x8.5 and 19x8.5 wheels. Good to know on the Grand Sport wheels, I’d definitely sworn off the Mg wheels.

Thanks
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      Experimental Physicist

'64 Riviera T-type: 4.1L Buick Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 OBDII SEFI swap

ROA# 9790

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com