Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Circuit breaker for trunk mounted battery

I’m getting ready to start installing my battery in the trunk and was wanting to install a breaker or breakers, I’m going to use 1/0 cable for both positive and negative and came across these two kits for CE Auto Electric, so are 2-200 amp breakers in parallel witch I think makes it 400 amps to much for 1/0 cable and has anyone used one these kits if so have you had any issues? Deluxe Single Battery Relocation Kits – CE Auto Electric Supply
      Dual Circuit Breaker Kits – CE Auto Electric Supply

Dual 200A breakers wired in parallel gives you 400A. Years ago some car amplifiers had maybe 3 or 4 30A ATC fuses stacked next to each other and the protection if they were all wired in parallel would be 90 or 120A.

The setup should be fine. I have 1/0 copper on my 73 Nova with a 300A ANL style fuse on it right at the battery and have not had any issues.

I didn't look real close but see if there are any caps you can put on the breaker studs so there are no exposed spots that a wrench or whatever could short across.

I will add that if the battery is an AGM style, see if it has a port to connect a vent tube to it and have the other end of the tube going to the exterior of the car.

If you have a battery (even an AGM) that does not have a vent connection port, put the battery in an enclosure and then vent the enclosure to the exterior of the vehicle.

Jim

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com