Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Steering Gearbox Choices

My '77 Trans Am's steering box is leaking profusely. This seems like an excellent opportunity to switch to a slightly faster, better unit. I'm torn between a Borgeson 12.7:1, a similar one from Pro-Touring F-Body, and a Lee 14:1.

I'm specifically looking for more resistance before the assist kicks in and a better road feel. I'll be running it with aftermarket spindles that increase the steering speed by 7% (so 14:1 would behave like 13:1 and 12.7:1 would behave like 12:1), and I'll be aligning it with a bunch more caster. A stock appearance would be nice, too.

Also, do I want a 3/4-30 or 13/16-36 input shaft? Are there any advantages to one over the other beyond matching what my car currently uses?

Country Flag: United States
      Any one of those suppliers are a good option and you will a few different choices to pick from. Most people these days go for the 12:1 boxes if they deviate from stock.

Some "what was used by the factory" thoughts for you....
      14:1 was used in '79-'81 WS6 Firebirds....12:1 was came along in the 80's GTA Firebird and IROC Camaro.

Whoever sets you up will have to figure out some information on your car. The input shaft will depend on the rag joint you use and you should technically use the pre '79 steering box fittings...if you're using the stock steering pump. If I recall, the rag joint switched in '78-'79 and the box fittings started going metric in '80. All this can be changed around depending on what you're working with and trying to ultimately do.

I'm happy with my AGR 12:1 in my 68 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
      I'm happy with my AGR 12:1 in my 68 Camaro
      I've read some feedback that AGR boxes tend to be valved to be too easy to turn, like their valving lets the assist kick in too soon. Is that not your experience?
      --
      1977 Trans Am SE W72 4-speed
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser turbo V6
      1993 Buick Roadmaster Estate
      1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate

Mine feels like it has a good resistance to me, it definitely takes a little effort

I'm running a stock 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box. Essentially the same thing as an "IROC" box which is 12.7:1 ratio. Mine seems to have consistent valving throughout the whole turn.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

It may boil down to budget but value is key, of the 3 you mention the PTFB is going to be a faster ratio 12.7:1 and an American made box, Saginaw design that is easily serviceable and has the best value.
      Although more difficult these day to get we may still be able to get you an exact fit box (pre 1978) with no need for extra parts to adapt .
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

Quote Originally Posted by 79T/Aman View Post
      It may boil down to budget but value is key, of the 3 you mention the PTFB is going to be a faster ratio 12.7:1 and an American made box, Saginaw design that is easily serviceable and has the best value.
      Although more difficult these day to get we may still be able to get you an exact fit box (pre 1978) with no need for extra parts to adapt .
      That's the one I've been leaning towards the most. And your service with my past purchases has been exemplary. One question: are those 3-bolt or 4-bolt housings? I'm gonna need the space on the frame behind the 4th bolt and would rather not have to grind it off if possible.
      --

Thank you, we have one pre 78 left 3 bolt mount, however 4 bolt boxes fit without having to remove the 4th mount lug.
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

Looks like that decision got made, thanks Dave!
      --

I am so happy with my new Lee 800 Series 14:1 30-pound steering box. It feels like a fast ratio manual box if there was such a thing. Excellent feedback and bounce back to center.

I personally use a 10:1 https://turnonesteering.com box setup with my pump and it feels great! It is a bit fast on the street but I got used to it quickly and it doesn't bother me. On the track it is perfect. It really depends on what your intended purpose for the car is.

Another important thing to consider is your alignment settings have a big impact on the steering feel too.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

I like the 12.7 to one ratio box in a second gen.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

I like the Lee 14:1 with a 30 pound torsion bar. Everything I was looking for in handling and overall feel, came in the Lee 800 series box with the 30 pound torsion bar...

What do you guys like for a 69 camaro that im trying to setup for a road racing style of driving? I have a stock subframe with chassisworks components. Billet dropped spindles w quick steering arms etc. With my brake setup im committed to atleast 18" rims up front. My cars in the shop and should be getting measured up soon. I dont know what size tires I can run yet. The rears will be fat for sure. I have an art morrison 3 link with shortened 9 in Ford housing. So the difference between the front and back will probably be more than I would like. Down the road I plan on a aftermarket front subframe. I dont want to do it now cuz I've been spending a ton on parts. I initially wanted to try manual steering but people seem to not recommend that. I will be driving some on the streets but not in parking lots and no parallel parking. The car is just a roller now. If I commit to manual than it would be a pain to switch to power once I get the engine in. Especially with custom headers that could cause fitment issues with the switch. Any insight would be appreciated thx.

+1 on a TurnOne steering box.

I used a stock S10 ZQ8 box in my 79 TA. The stock GM ZQ8 box is 12.7:1. Stock reman is a very cost effective solution, used to be less than $200.

Quote Originally Posted by pannetron View Post
      +1 on a TurnOne steering box.
      They are sold out and are only rebuilding cores that you send them. I think I have a Saginaw 800 series, not sure if its worth rebuilding.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com