Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Wiring a Supercharger Cooling Pump

I am wiring my 55 chevy with a LSA crate engine. The engine harness does not have provisions to wire the supercharger cooling pump. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Did the GM control this pump off of a thermostat in the Camaro or CTSV? I was considering wiring it with a relay from ignition. I also was considering using a delay relay of 10sec so it is not drawing any current while cranking.
      then I read some have put it on a timer so to circulate coolant for a short period of time after engine is shut off. Any thought? Is this all over kill? Or does it need to be wired to a thermostat.
      appricate any suggestions or feedback.
      Winners prepare until they get it right.
      Champions prepare until they don't get it wrong.

All of that is a little overkill in my experience. My pump relay is on keyed ignition. The current draw is not high enough to worry about imho. Temperature is not high enough to warrant a delayed turnoff.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      All of that is a little overkill in my experience. My pump relay is on keyed ignition. The current draw is not high enough to worry about imho. Temperature is not high enough to warrant a delayed turnoff.

Don
      Thank you Don,
      That was my first initial plan and then I get to thinking to much and reading and over think the whole thing. I appreciate the feedback, -Kenneth

I added a circuit into my GMPP harness/fuse box by adding a relay that is on when the fuel pump relay is on & that then powers the coolant pump.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

I have an LSA connect and cruise harness and it has the factory wiring off the harness for the pump. Which utilizes the factory pump and connection. Just wish they made the wiring a lot longer..

What harness are you using?
      Doug L.
      68 RS/SS Conv. LSA/T56.
      67 RS Coupe LS2/T56 named "NutKse"

PSI harness also comes with a wire to control intercooler pump. It does require wiring in a relay. Also the stock zl1 intercooler pump only draws 2-3 amps and in stock form GM has a 5 amp fuse for it. So it’s very low current draw.

Quote Originally Posted by thedugan View Post
      I have an LSA connect and cruise harness and it has the factory wiring off the harness for the pump. Which utilizes the factory pump and connection. Just wish they made the wiring a lot longer..

What harness are you using?

I had my harness built by a local harness wiring company. It does not have provision for powering the pump. I plan on running it through my chassis harness instead. The pump I am using is WP 50-04 https://www.cxracing.com/WP-50-04

After several comment here it sounds like just having it come on at IGN is the best solution. I was considering using one of my extra inputs on my Digital Dakota gauges as a warning or buzzer incase pump goes out. Anyone know how this could be wired to perform that task. My through is through a relay?

Been doing some reading on how to incorporate a trigger to warn of electric cooling pump failure. It has proven not to be as easy as I first thought. From what I have read a flow sensor is possibly the easiest way. However the expense of the flow sensor is way over what I am willing to spend to tell me the pump had went out.

https://www.sailorssolutions.com/ind...ils&Item=FS200

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com