Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Moving battery to trunk

My question what size wire do I need to move my battery to the trunk of my car?

I use 02 gauge for both positive and negative. If you have a big draw components you could go up to 00.

Get a 5th gen Camaro positive and negative cable. Used it in my build. Great oem quality and I think it’s a 1/0 cable. Also comes with 2 built in fuses you can use with amps etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2015-C...-127632-2357-0

That’s a pretty good idea

Any idea on the overall length of the Camaro cables?

The other thing I like to do is use isolators that bolt thru the trunk sheet metal. I don't care just just a grommet to protect the cables.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      Any idea on the overall length of the Camaro cables?
      I used it in my build. It was plenty long enough for me. I ran it inside the car, then through the firewall (between the inner and outer passenger fender) just like the heat/AC lines, then to the starter. Like I said plenty long enough.

A 2010 camaro positive battery cable is 246inches long.

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      I used it in my build. It was plenty long enough for me. I ran it inside the car, then through the firewall (between the inner and outer passenger fender) just like the heat/AC lines, then to the starter. Like I said plenty long enough.
      Sounds like it might get me to the firewall, which is what I need. My car is 18 ft long...

Quote Originally Posted by 5spd540 View Post
      A 2010 camaro positive battery cable is 246inches long.
      246 inches ????? That's 20.5 foot.

Quote Originally Posted by 5spd540 View Post
      My question what size wire do I need to move my battery to the trunk of my car?
      The gauge of the wire will depend on how much current you are wanting to get through it.

One might be able to run a front to back 4 gauge cable on a high torque starter turning over a low compression motor but that wire will not be enough if a stock old style starter is used on a high compression motor.

I've seen cars with 4 gauge and others with 1/0 and it depends on what is needed. You can go to the 1/0 even though you might need a 4 gauge though.

Also be aware there is copper clad aluminum wire out there (CCA for short) and then there is oxygen free copper wire (OFC).

A 1/0 OFC wire is close to being like a 2/0 CCA wire. The aluminum wire needs to be larger in gauge than copper for the same ampacity.

In other words the 1/0 CCA wire is cheaper than 1/0 OFC but the ampacity is lower.

Oh, and if you can, properly protect the cable with the proper sized fuse and even if it's a sealed AGM battery, still put it in an enclosure vented to the exterior of the vehicle. AGM batteries can vent explosive fumes just like flooded cell batteries.

Info I've put together through the years:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766...57656656084141

Jim

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com