Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Bowler T56 All in One Harness Question?

Looking for some help, I have a LSA with a Magnum T56 and currently in the wiring stage. My question is when I purchased the transmission, Bowler also suggested the all in one harness. So I bought it with all the other transmission goodies.
      But now that I am wiring I notice my engine harness has a plug going to the transmission for the VSS. I did some reading and it sounds like the ECM needs this data. However the all in one harness from Bowler also uses the VSS connection. I also read not to pigtail anything into the engine harness VSS.

I like how the Bowler all in one harness is able to activate the reverse lock out. But not sure the all in one harness is going to work. If I do not use Bowlers harness then I need to figure out how to wire the reverse lock out and reverse lights. I have read that the reverse lock out can be wired to the brake switch, but after reading Bowlers all in one harness instructions that is not ideal. However the reverse lights shouldn't be a big deal to wire in I don't think.

I also am using Dakota Digital gauges with the OBD-ll interface, which the Bowler all in one harness also send a signal to. If I don't use that harness can the Dakota Digital Gauges receive the speed information from the OBD-ll interface?

Any advice and help is much appreciated.
      Winners prepare until they get it right.
      Champions prepare until they don't get it wrong.

The Bowler box also has two independently programmable speed outputs. Why can't one of those be used for the stock ECU?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I'm curious because I have the same system, but nowhere near being ready to wire it up. I'm real sure if you call the good folks at Bowler they would be very happy to talk you through any questions you have. If you do that, please post what you find for others to follow.

What Andrew said. The two outputs can be configured differently and one can feed the correct signal to the ECU and the other can feed the DD box. One of them is already setup for the correct pulse count for the ECU, just enter your tire and gear info and the ECU should get exactly what it needs.

Alternatively, you can also get speed from the ECU through the OBDII port for your gauges but you will be limited to how far you can adjust the speedometer and will only be able to use the "adjust" function for calibration.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Thank you all for the information. This sounds great if I can tap into the speed output of Bowlers harness. I will call Bowler and let you all know what I find out. I am sure there at SEMA so I will wait until next week. But this sounds very promising. -Kenneth

By the sounds of it you are running a stock ECU. If that is the case, you will have a problem communicating with the T56 Magnum and the stock ECU. In stock form the TR6060 that would have come behind an LSA motor has a 17 tooth reluctor wheel, but the T56 Magnum uses the Ford style reluctor wheel with 12 teeth. If you don't have access to HP Tuners or EFI Live, you will need to discuss with your tuner. I believe there may be a table that you can change the number of teeth, but not 100% sure.

Secondly, if you have the OBD2 module for the DD gauges, you can just add speed as an option to display in your gauges. No need to add that second output to the gauges. I'm doing exactly that with my Dakota Digital VHX gauges and the BIM module coming from my ECU.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

I believe with the module he has from Bowler you can adjust the VSS output so the ECU sees pulses that would match the 40 tooth count for your gear and tire size. That way you don't need to get into the ECU to change things to fake it.

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      By the sounds of it you are running a stock ECU. If that is the case, you will have a problem communicating with the T56 Magnum and the stock ECU. In stock form the TR6060 that would have come behind an LSA motor has a 17 tooth reluctor wheel, but the T56 Magnum uses the Ford style reluctor wheel with 12 teeth. If you don't have access to HP Tuners or EFI Live, you will need to discuss with your tuner. I believe there may be a table that you can change the number of teeth, but not 100% sure.

Secondly, if you have the OBD2 module for the DD gauges, you can just add speed as an option to display in your gauges. No need to add that second output to the gauges. I'm doing exactly that with my Dakota Digital VHX gauges and the BIM module coming from my ECU.
      Thank you for all the great information, I had really hit a road block and even though I don't have it all figured out yet, the info you and others have shared has been very helpful.

I did learn today part of my confusion was due to having the wrong plug from the ECU harness going to the transmission. What I found out is the plugs are different on the Magnum T56. I not only have the VSS plug but also the reverse lockout plug. Just need to get different terminals that match the Magnum.

So I am really thinking not to use the Bowler all in one harness at all. Just need to figure out like you mentioned if the tune can be adjusted to read the 12 tooth reluctor.

Really appreciate the help...

I used a GMPP harness that had provisions for the VSS (had to change the connector), but it did not have connector for the reverse lockout. I added that to the harness, and bought the connector for the reverse switch to connect that to the vehicle circuit to power the reverse lights.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

it's been a while since I installed mine, but I am very happy with it. I'm a little unclear on what your issues are, as my recollection is that the Bowler unit site in-between the VSS output of the transmission and the VSS connector in your harness. So the engine computer is still going to receive the VSS signal, it is just coming from the Bowler rather than directly from the transmission. This allows you to use the Bowler to fine-tune your settings and make sure that the computer is getting the PPM that it expects. The Dakota Digital BIM module plugs in to the OBD-II port on the harness, which is being fed FROM the computer. So there is no splicing or dicing required. If you feed the proper information TO the computer, it will feed the proper information to the OBDII port and therefore the BIM module.
      Steve

Quote Originally Posted by KMD View Post
      Thank you for all the great information, I had really hit a road block and even though I don't have it all figured out yet, the info you and others have shared has been very helpful.

I did learn today part of my confusion was due to having the wrong plug from the ECU harness going to the transmission. What I found out is the plugs are different on the Magnum T56. I not only have the VSS plug but also the reverse lockout plug. Just need to get different terminals that match the Magnum.

So I am really thinking not to use the Bowler all in one harness at all. Just need to figure out like you mentioned if the tune can be adjusted to read the 12 tooth reluctor.

Really appreciate the help...
      That's the route that I would take, and use the Stock ECU if possible. I haven't used HP Tuners for any of the gen4 ECU's, but I'm pretty sure that there was some table where you could change the number of teeth. Or if it wasn't that straight forward, some sort of modifier that would allow it to recognize the difference between 17 vs. 12 teeth.

Keep this thread posted as you may help others in the future. Good luck!

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

That's the route that I would take, and use the Stock ECU if possible. I haven't used HP Tuners for any of the gen4 ECU's, but I'm pretty sure that there was some table where you could change the number of teeth. Or if it wasn't that straight forward, some sort of modifier that would allow it to recognize the difference between 17 vs. 12 teeth.

Keep this thread posted as you may help others in the future. Good luck!

Thanks again, I spoke my tuner and he said he has modified the table to adjust for the difference between the 17 vs 12 tooth before. I can't thank you enough for the help and information. Now just need to change the plugs so they will accommodate the Magnum T56. I found the VSS plug on ebay but it has the wires already crimped with a pigtail coming out. I really would like to crimp the terminals on myself rather than use a butt connect.

Anyone know were to purchase this plug from?
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/22428266603...QAAOSwrYJf24Ze

Even thought the Bowler wiring kit is nice I think for my application I do not need it. Oh well another swap meet part.

Once we tune the car I will update and let you all know how well it went on changing the data to accommodate the different transmissions.

Bowler All In One

Hey Andrew.

I’ve only ran Holley in the past. This is my first build using a GM ECU. Picked up a GMPP Controler setup for an LS3.

Running a T56 Magnum. I was under the impression that the gm ecu vss sensor plug was optional and the ecu did not need it to run properly.

My plan was to run the bowler all in one for the reverse lock out and then use the speed output from the all in one to the Dakota Digital for speedo.

does this sound right?
      NoSleeperII - 62 Chevy II - SOLD
      NoSleeper68 - 68 Camaro - daughter
      NoSleeper71 - 71 Camaro - son
      NoSleeper90 - 90 Foxbody - to be determined

By the sounds of it you are running a stock ECU. If that is the case, you will have a problem communicating with the T56 Magnum and the stock ECU. In stock form the TR6060 that would have come behind an LSA motor has a 17 tooth reluctor wheel, but the T56 Magnum uses the Ford style reluctor wheel with 12 teeth. .
      T56 Magnum has versions with the GM reluctor and some with the Ford.
      Michael Mosley
      1968 Barracuda
      Plano, TX

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...in-Plano-Texas

Quote Originally Posted by NoSleeperII View Post
      Hey Andrew.

I’ve only ran Holley in the past. This is my first build using a GM ECU. Picked up a GMPP Controler setup for an LS3.

Running a T56 Magnum. I was under the impression that the gm ecu vss sensor plug was optional and the ecu did not need it to run properly.

My plan was to run the bowler all in one for the reverse lock out and then use the speed output from the all in one to the Dakota Digital for speedo.

does this sound right?
      The Bowler has two programmable outputs. One can go to the ECU, the other anything you like.

It has instructions. I would suggest calling Bowler if you have questions.

Purple/White (output 1) & Purple/Yellow (output 2): These are both speed sensor outputs, andonly needed when using an electronic speedometer or other module that requires a speed signal inputto operate. You can utilize just one or both depending on your needs. They both are programmablebased on the needs of the equipment they are sending signal to. If only one is used, cap off the otherand secure it. Output one is preset at 40 pulses per revolution and option 2 is preset at 16 pulses perrevolution. Contact your gauge manufacturer if you do not know what pulse input is required.

https://www.bowlertransmissions.com/...th-Mustang.pdf
      Michael Mosley
      1968 Barracuda
      Plano, TX

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...in-Plano-Texas

Quote Originally Posted by mmosley View Post
      The Bowler has two programmable outputs. One can go to the ECU, the other anything you like.

It has instructions. I would suggest calling Bowler if you have questions.
      Purple/White (output 1) & Purple/Yellow (output 2): These are both speed sensor outputs, andonly needed when using an electronic speedometer or other module that requires a speed signal inputto operate. You can utilize just one or both depending on your needs. They both are programmablebased on the needs of the equipment they are sending signal to. If only one is used, cap off the otherand secure it. Output one is preset at 40 pulses per revolution and option 2 is preset at 16 pulses perrevolution. Contact your gauge manufacturer if you do not know what pulse input is required.

https://www.bowlertransmissions.com/...th-Mustang.pdf

Thanks mmosley. My question is more in regards to the ECU. Does the GM ECU require a VSS signal for the engine to run properly?
      NoSleeperII - 62 Chevy II - SOLD
      NoSleeper68 - 68 Camaro - daughter
      NoSleeper71 - 71 Camaro - son
      NoSleeper90 - 90 Foxbody - to be determined

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com