Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Need New exhaust for 69 camaro?

I have a 69 camaro with a 383/turbo350/3.73rear that I've been driving
      more often lately and I've come to the realization that exhaust is
      really too loud! At least until I get a OD trans in it.
      It has hooker comp headers into 2.5" hpipe, flowmaster
      3chamber and exit down behind the rear wheels. The noise level while highway driving (65mph up;) inside is pretty loud, that after 30 min of driving my hearing is ringing a little. It really sounds tough though.
      I am considering changing to x-pipe with dynomax ultra-flows and stock exit. I want to get a madrel bent system and would love recomendations. Does anyone have a pro or con on this situation, I've read the other posts
      and the Pypes system looks good. Also, anyone have a stock exit tailpipe
      they like?

thanks,
      chris
      p.s. I attached a recent pic from the dyno ;)
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Country Flag: United States
      That sounds like what I just did. I have Thorley header, 2.5" tubing, X-pipe into a pair of Dynomax UltraFlo SS mufflers exit out at the back. So far it sounds great. I haven't done any sound proofing or carpet install yet, which should help a lot. Pics can be found on my site (link in sig.)
      Mike Schwartz aka chevymike
      1955 Chevy 210 Wagon
      1965 Chevy C10 Panel Truck
      1972 Chevy El Camino

http://www.dynamat.com/ try this stuff

Scroll down to see install pics http://www.detroitspeed.com/ElmersPage10.html

How did the car do on the dyno?

just changing the exit location will help let alone x-pipe and different mufflers.

Mike whose x-pipe did you use?
      also, how's the interior noise level? and overall sound of the dynomax mufflers?
      p.s. your site is great! thanks!

The 383 pulled 322hp at the rear wheels.

Get the tailpipes exiting straight out the back and it will help a lot. I went with the Pypes 2.5" tailpipes and Hooker Aerochamber mufflers and it's really pretty quiet at cruising speeds. Get into the gas and it opens up nicely. I didn't go with the x-pipe and that might have quieted it down even a little more.
      69 Z28, original JL8 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, TI, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
      70 Camaro SS396 L78 Canadian car

cakneller: I am not sure what brand was used. I have seen them before but for the life of me can't remember the name.

Interior noise is not bad but I haven't installed any sound deadner or my carpet yet. Cruise is nice and when you get on it, you know something is there. Much better overall then the Flowmasters I have used in the past. Overall, I am happy with my choice. Good luck.

Dr. Gas

I have the Dr. Gas X pipe, 3" through the Dynomax Super Turbos, and 2.5" mandrel bent tailpipes exiting out the back.

I agree that having the tailpipe exit out the back of the car will help a bunch. Flowmaster makes a set of 2.5" mandrel bent pipes for 1st gens that can be found for around $100. Not only will they help lower the sound level, they will also help cut down on the amount of exhaust coming back into the car and reduce the amount of dust/dirt blown up. Though I liked the look of the exhaust exiting just behind the rear tire the exits acted like big leaf blowers and would blow dust and dirt all over the car when backing up.

If the current exhaust setup is not mandrel bent you may want to consider either a kit (Flowmaster, Pipes, Torque Tech, etc). From the cars I've seen that have come out of Chino Valley muffler I would not hesitate to have those guys do the whole enchilada, plus they are just down the road from Westech. Like any shop, be sure to spell out exactly what you want.

An overdrive transmission will greatly reduce the noise level as well.

Given your HP ratings and your engine output a 2.5" mandrel bent system with either a Dynomax Super Turbo or Ultraflo should work fine. If top end performance is the goal, go Ultraflo since the Super Turbo in the 2.5-3" ranges (small case, not the Super Suitcase 5 1/2" thick model) have a step-down just inside of the inlet down to around 2". Ultraflo's are rated very high on the HP scale. Ratings are listed on the Dynomax website.

If the headers have a 3" collector then you will need a smooth transition reducer to 2.5" (Flowmaster makes these as well.) Many muffler shops just hack something up and butcher the job. I too have heard good things about Aerochambers but have not heard an installed set.

Nice car, and nice numbers. 17" VWW?
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

I have 3" collectors and used a Dr. Gas 3" in/2.5" out that goes into Magnaflows with the Flowmaster tailpipes Carl mentions. However, I cut mine so they point down behind the rear wheel opening - my preference. The system has a nice sound, not too loud until you mash it. I'm very pleased.
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

thanks for all the info!!
      now I've just got to price it out$$$ ;)

carl, yah they're VWW 17"s

X pipe

X pipe alone can be worth 6 DBs. We have tried it a couple times with before and after testing with a meter, and at idle, standing behind the car we have got 5 and 6 DBs better with just the X pipe.

did you compare that with an H-pipe?
      Also, is there a significant gain by going from an H-pipe to an X?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com