Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

leafs or 4-link?

Hey guys, new here, need a little guidance. I am going to get mini-tubs in my 70 Nova and need to decide to go with leafs or 4-link or something else? My build is more geared toward restomod than pro-touring, but I do want nice handling overall.

Which options should I be considering?

Country Flag: United States
      Going to come down to Budget and Desires

needs, wants, budget.
      Maintenance is also a BIG deal as well as your abilities, many aftermarket 4 links use heim joints, you will be replacing them more often than you will care to, as the price goes up you get into spherical joints, they last much longer especially if they can be greased and some are rebuildable (maintenance), remember a 4 link can have as many as 8 of these.
      4 links require fabrication and those that don't require you to cut the car to install are of no benefit, there are good ones out there but not bolt in.
      The reality is that you can make a fantastic handling car with leaf springs, we have won 7 SCCA autoX championships with true street machines 3600# full interior, stereo..etc.) on leaf springs, as a new guy in this the best advice I can give you is don't get caught up in the bling, and "bigger is better" especially if you are on a budget, unless you want bragging rights at the car show and you can afford it then just go nuts.
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

good morning

It really comes down to budget and objective of the car, if your thinking leafs because your trying to save a penny, thats not true in the competitive world, it really comes down to what you like, I have a customer that runs at a very high level and is on leafs, DSE leaf's (400 bucks), Viking crusader double adjustable shocks (400 bucks) and a Fays 2 watts link (750 bucks) a great package at about 1600 bucks not cheap, I raced for years on leafs and won some good races but after a few years I needed the next level and for me it was a link rear suspension, I guess if you just want the look keep the stock leaf's add some lowering blocks, you'll have the look without the performance
      if you need any help call me at the shop 931-231-4505

here's customer Dons car at UMI king of the mountain
      Name:  129751389_506411506909643_4445496514808664157_o.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  226.8 KB

here is my car on leafs winning goodguys Scottsdale
      Name:  goodguys win.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  215.9 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

OK, DO NOT use lowering blocks and stock leaf springs, the rate of the stock springs are too soft to lower the car it will cause bottoming out!
      And here is one of Pro-touringF-Body's customers at King of the mountain race, the fastest car there on leaf springs ( PTFB Comp leaf springs) 265 tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      No watts link just sound well thought out bolt on parts, for about $1000.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by 79T/Aman; 11-14-2021 at 07:54 AM.

I’m curious what is actually done with the rear of this Camaro?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff70 View Post
      I’m curious what is actually done with the rear of this Camaro?
      PTFB Comp leaf springs kit.
      PTFB Anti squat brackets
      PTFB Heavy duty leaf spring plates with tie down.
      $1048.00 to be exact.
      Beefed up stock 10 bolt with drum brakes.
      This car is 3600# street machine, it has won 4 SCCA CAM championships, dozens and dozens of various autoX events, won the 2021 Nashville Good Guys autoX as well as the shoot out (second place car was also a PTFB leaf spring equipped Camaro)

Quote Originally Posted by 79T/Aman View Post
      Beefed up stock 10 bolt with drum brakes.
      )
      Maybe now people will stop looking at me like I'm crazy when I say 14" 6 piston rear discs aren't necessary autocross...
      - Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by stab6902 View Post
      Maybe now people will stop looking at me like I'm crazy when I say 14" 6 piston rear discs aren't necessary autocross...
      RIGHT!! iron 14" rotor are counter productive, the flywheel effect of a 30# rotor at all 4 corners seems to be lost in favor of "bigger better" bragging rights.
      This is why those sizes are available in carbon for those actually seeking a performance gain.

Quote Originally Posted by 79T/Aman View Post
      RIGHT!! iron 14" rotor are counter productive, the flywheel effect of a 30# rotor at all 4 corners seems to be lost in favor of "bigger better" bragging rights.
      This is why those sizes are available in carbon for those actually seeking a performance gain.

This is pretty crazy to think about. So many people want these huge brakes but, like you said, they create more unsprung and rotational weight. It definitely is a lot of weight if you stack 4 rotors on a scale all together....even harder to slow down when spinning on 4 wheels.

I've seen that Cardone brand has aluminum drums for the old cars. I've never weighed that stuff but I would guess that's as light as you can get for an old Nova/Camaro rear brake setup. I know drum brakes are not anything to brag about but an aluminum drum does bring up an interesting thought/discussion....if it's actually lighter than a disc setup.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com