Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Out of state car purchase

How do any of you that have bought cars out of state, that have the cars shipped to you, not picked up, handle paying for the car so you don’t get taken? Thanks.
      -Ed

If it’s to a dealership you can wire the money and feel safe about it especially since they usually send you the docs to sign by mail before you pay in full. If it’s a private person I would travel there or at least make them list the vehicle on eBay then you click buy now. At least that way you’re protected.

escrow.com

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      escrow.com

Don
      Sorry, I'm Never releasing a Vehicle without Cash in my Hand!

I’ve bought cars out of state and sold cars out of state. One was from a dealership so I wired the money and then flew out and drove it home. Another I flew to look at the car, struck a deal, and wired the money when I got home. A transporter picked up the car a week later.
      The one I sold, I talked to the guy on the phone a few times and he wired me the money. He never came to see it. A week later he had a transporter come pick it up.
      Worlds Fastest LFX powered 1966 Chevelle, with a 3.6L/217 CI, 4 cam direct injected V6, 6 speed auto, full Hotchkis suspension, 4 wheel Wilwood discs, white w/red interior, cowl hood. 3260 lbs w/full tank.

Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      That’s ok cuz I’m pretty sure I’d never buy a vehicle from you…

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I would struggle to buy a car from out state that I couldn't inspect it myself. Depending on the cars location you might ask for one of the members on here to take a at look for a fee.
      I've sold a few of my hot rod projects and wire transfer is the only way to go. Once it's sent there is no pulling it back. Cash only if you can meet at a bank and run the cash thru their counting machine that also detects bad bills.

It looks like there are a few different ways to go about it. Thanks for the replies.
      -Ed

Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      Gosh, I have sold so many cars ( I have owned 65)

I've bought 3 cars sight unseen and wasn't disappointed as there was a LOT of communication between parties. I bought one car that I had seen a couple of years earlier and when it arrived, it looked like a different car.

I've sold at least a dozen cars sight unseen and only had one complainer ( out of the country buyer), which was unjustified.

I had one guy buy a older Porsche, flew in from Chicago ( in the Winter) with an "Expert". Checked the car over, got paid and he drove it back in the worst weather possible. He complained about it wasn't comfortable enough. And he went off the road, had a little bit of damage, and wanted me to pay for it!

I have always used Wire Transfers or Cash!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com