Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: '67 C10 rebuild

Country Flag: United States

'67 C10 rebuild

I am in process of rebuilding my '67 C10 for the 4th time. I have an L98 4 bolt main block, aluminum heads, Hi-rise tunnel ram with 2-600 cfm Holley's and dual point Mallory. I have not actually started this engine build and had several tell me to stop what I'm doing and go with an LS swap. Now! I'm lost and don't know where to start. I am in Texas and how do I go about finding out any Texas rules on emission's requirements if any. Can I get an LS engine from a wrecking yard and if so what would I look for to get factory 400 + HP?

You're in Texas there are no rules for emissions on antique vehicles, but you can add anything you want.
      2,500th member!

Country Flag: United States
      I've had this discussion with my Dad and a buddy.
      Simply put newer design rev's higher, much more efficient, makes more power.

Even chevy learned a lot over the 30 yrs the Gen 1 SBC was made.
      Now there is a couple more versions with major improvements latest of which is the LS platform.

Here's how I look at it and explained it to my dad and a buddy.
      IMHO
      55-85 SBC, only if its already there and runs great. If anything goes wrong cap repairs at $1000. Anything beyond that change to LS. (of course this assumes you don't have a full race motor with 20k in existing upgrades).

86-9? SBC 5.7L is a pretty good improvement, usually these were throttle body injected, new head design (usually called vortec heads) more efficient and make more power. - Still unless you already have it, don't spend money on it there are better options for pretty much the same $.

Then once the 5.3 the SBC became "LS based" this has a much different valve train design, rev's higher, rev's faster, makes much more power, and usually found as direct injected (each cylinder has an injector). Usually any of the 6.2 come 430-500hp+ out of the box, with 5.3 and 6.0 still in the mid 350hp range without any modifications.
      These are easily being pushed to 700-1000hp with turbos or superchargers using stock bottom ends and still staying reliable. Something totally impossible on a Gen1 SBC.

Now of course they've made iterations of these LS engines in 5.3,6.0 (LS2),6.2 (LS3).

Now I'm no engine builder nor did I even remotely try to explain all the differences just the simplest reasoning on why you'd stop now and if you're going to invest any $ beyond $1000 just make the jump now and you'll be happier you did later.

I've been looking at the 6.2L LS3 on Jeg's for my project.
      For a dressed crate engine 495hp/473 ft lbs complete from fuel injection to pan $8175.99 w/free shipping. It would cost you probably twice that to get a Gen 1 SBC to make that kind of power and it would never be as reliable.

I could be wrong of course. But that's what I've found in my research anyway.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com