Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: '62 shorted C10

Country Flag: United States

'62 shorted C10

I just picked up a really nice stock '62 & am finding in regards to chassis/suspension they are a redheaded stepchild. I'd like to avoid going to a new frame as the stock frame is in excellent condition. Goal is to drive in a straight line without constant input, brake without drama, eliminate bump steer and turn a corner with some alacrity as the trucks use will be primarily as a truck and for smile inducing joy rides. I will keep the height as close to OEM as possible as one of its main uses will be to tow a race car. The only 2 front IFS suspensions I've found for this application are from Scott's Hotrod's, FatMan Fab & Danny's original customs. If anyone has experience with these vendor's I'd appreciate input.

My engine choices are boiling down to these--build a 292 FI turbo motor, buy a low mileage Caddie twin-turbo V6 (they are readily available w/tranie, accessories, 8-10 sp autos & drive by wire assembly) & if I decide to go crazy have a Falconer L6 built. The power range would be 350-450 HP/FtLbs among the 3. Anyone know if these chassis can handle this power or mods to the chassis that would make it so?
      Larry Nirenberg
      ‘20 MB GLS450
      ’22 Porsche GT4
      ’62 Chevy C10

Is it shortened already? If not, here's how I did mine: How To Shorten a 60-62 C10.

Lots of folks swap in the entire Squarebody crossmember, which gives you (somewhat) modern suspension, and power steering, and disc brakes. Any 67-87 C10 crossmember will fit, you will just have to drill a few holes. I have an '84 'Burb front in my '61 (and then some).

Other popular suspension suppliers in the C10 world are Porterbuilt, as well as NoLimit Engineering (links go to their C10 product page).

It's a shortbed step side (6 1/2' bed) which I'm fine with. Porterbuilt drops the Chassis, which I'm not looking to do and No Limit doesn't make parts for the '62.
      Larry Nirenberg
      ‘20 MB GLS450
      ’22 Porsche GT4
      ’62 Chevy C10

Ah.

I -think- the frame rail height through the front is the same 60-66. I do know the crossmember bolt hole location are slightly different 60-62, but nothing a drill cannot fix.

I used the Scott’s Hotrods IFS on my Dodge. I thought the quality of components was good. Communication with the vendor could have been better. The IFS dropped my front end 3 inches which I didn't want since I also bought their 2 inch drop spindles and told them I only wanted a 2 inch drop. So then I had to buy the stock height spindles.
      The track width was also narrower than my stock which limited the wheel and tire size since I didn’t want custom wheels. Since this was my first build down to this level, I’m chalking it up to my lack of experience asking the right questions. Overall it’ll work fine. Just would have liked some things a little different. Good luck.
      -Ed
      Last edited by Dodge383fi; 10-25-2021 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Spelling

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com