Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Borgeson joints

Borgeson joints

I need to order some Borgeson joints to get the steering set up on my current project. Do you guys recommend the vibration reducer joint or can I just use the standard type joints? I believe the rack is mounted via polyurethane bushings, DSE rack on AME chassis. Thanks.

PS, I do have the vibration reducing joint on a different car in place of the rag joint, but that’s all I’ve ever had on it so I don’t know if it really does much.

Country Flag: United States
      In my experience it does make a difference.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Yeah, they help. I don't build with them but I do swap them in as needed. Not every car needs them but some steering linkages get a harmonic in them and the wheel will start shaking for no apparent reason and the vibration damping U joint cures that.

One other thing, I have put together some very quiet cars, and without the vibration reducer u joint you can hear the fluid flowing through rack when turning as the sound transfers through the linkage and column.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Thanks guys. I’ll get the vibration reducer joint.

Quote Originally Posted by 65 drop top View Post
      I need to order some Borgeson joints to get the steering set up on my current project. Do you guys recommend the vibration reducer joint or can I just use the standard type joints? I believe the rack is mounted via polyurethane bushings, DSE rack on AME chassis. Thanks.

PS, I do have the vibration reducing joint on a different car in place of the rag joint, but that’s all I’ve ever had on it so I don’t know if it really does much.
      The vibration reducer is always a good idea, it gets rid of hand numbing road vibrations and will also work to mitigate any hydraulic noise from passing up through to the steering wheel.

Hydraulic noise is a far more eloquent way to say what I was trying to describe.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

if the intermediate shaft is non telescopic it is best to use the damper, especially with an aftermarket frame and R&P where you also may get bind under load.

https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com