Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

DSE subframe using holley engine and trans crossmember

1968 camaro ls swap gen 3 6.0 and tremec magnum 6 speed ,I'm using holley engine mount12618 and clamshell mounts hkr-trans crossmember with 12626hkr-oil pan302-2 -holley BlackHeart headers 70101329 rhkr [use withe DSE subframe}with DSE subframe . I have been getting conflicting answers from holley and DSE about using engine frame and engine mounts. DSE says to use there headers and stands holley says parts I have will work .Problem is just received the headers from holley and there instructions state must use DSE stands .You would think since the money we spend on these products and now holley is to my understanding acquiring DSE that they get there act together . Has anyone come across the same scenario and if so what needs to be ordered ? Thanks

Country Flag: United States
      There’s a couple of key factors to keep in mind…the first being that up until a few months ago, DSE and Holley were separate, competing companies so they weren’t working together to design parts that fit with each other. The other more important factor is that the DSE mounts have a setback for the LS engines which is also why they would recommend their headers. I’m not aware of the Holley mounts having any setback but someone else here or Holley can tell you for sure. My guess would be that if you use the Holley engine mounts, trans cross member, etc. that the engine won’t know the difference as far as which frame it’s sitting in but you may still run into interference issues on the headers due to any design variances of the DSE frame vs a factory frame (IF that’s what was used to design the Holley system). At the end of the day, mocking things up is gonna be the only way you’ll know for sure. I can tell you I went with the entire DSE setup for my 68 Camaro with LS/T56 (Bowler cross member) and had zero issues. Be sure to post your findings as they may be a help to the next person. Good luck!
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Name:  75C507B1-C92C-4E17-93AD-270A33BB37EA.jpeg
Views: 282
Size:  204.3 KBName:  9094ED29-5CAE-4342-8A82-B3875F8EE5E0.jpeg
Views: 279
Size:  199.7 KBI just went through this. I used the DSE sub, DSE setback stands, Holley headers for DSE sub, and the Holley crossmember for the first Gen sub. I also used the Holley exhaust for the quadralink. I contacted Toddoky and he was somewhat helpful. Todd was the PM for the stock sub stuff. He did try to relay questions I had for the DSE stuff through the guy who was that PM. No one at Holley (or DSE) could tell me what trans crossmember to use. DSE wants you to use their headers and the bowler trans crossmember . The bowler crossmember doesn’t work with the Holley exhaust kit.

Using the parts I mentioned (all Holley with the DSE stands) you have to put approx 1 1/4” spacer (used 1” aluminum block and other trans shims) to achieve a 2.0 engine angle. Do not get the exhaust kit with the resonators. They hang too low. If you decide to use the Holley exhaust, the drivers side crossmember cutout will need clearanced (opened up slightly).

Lots of aggravation initially but it works great. Let me know if you have any other questions.

It had to do I over again, just order the DSE headers and bowler crossmember and have a shop do your exhaust.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

thanks

Just curious if you had to cut the tunnel with the DSE subframe swap. I know you mentioned no tunnel issues using the Holley swap parts with the stock subframe.
      Andy

1967 Camaro RS
      Magnacharged LS1/T56
      543 rwhp, 516 rwtq
      Sold

1968 Firebird
      LS427/570 and T56 Magnum

Andy, Yes you do have to raise the tunnel with the DSE sub. The DSE engine mounts raise it up similiar to the stock 67-69 mounts. I used a bowler tunnel cap.

Name:  01070D0B-A2D9-41CF-8C26-8D8E914869D3.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  384.1 KB
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Good to know… thanks

Andy

1967 Camaro RS
      Magnacharged LS1/T56
      543 rwhp, 516 rwtq
      Sold