Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1980 Trans Am Stereo build

My 1980 TA is down for a bit getting the motor fixed. I've got the dash out to re do it and want to upgrade the stereo some while its out. I have a new Pioneer double DIN receiver. Got the same one in my Firehawk and have been pleased with it so far. The Double DIN is going in the dash with a Restore A Muscle Car mount.

I've read as many of the old posts as I can and have learned a lot. I definitely like a front sound stage. My 2018 Silverado has a front stage and if you fade to the rears, there is hardly nothing coming from the rear door speakers. On my Firehawk I've all be faded out the rears and it keeps sounding better and better.

My goals are to get performance on par with my truck or better.

My TA has MLV in the interior compartment everywhere but the roof.

With the 1980 TA, I have in dash speakers on the far corners by the a pillars. They will take up to a 3.5 inch speaker.

My initial thought was to do away with the rear speakers, replace them with free air 6 x 9 sub woofers and power them with an amp. I'd then use 6.5 component sets up front with the mid woofers in the doors and the tweeters in the dash powered off the head unit. I'd like to use as much of the factory mounting spots as possible so the car retains its factory vibe.

I used CDT audio speakers from Kee Audio for the Firehawk as he seemed geared towards fourth gen f bodies and the 10 speaker system. They have been a huge improvement over stock but didn't really come into their own until I replaced the head unit and could get things tuned. I'd gladly go CDT speakers again as they have the 6 x 9 subs and components I'd need if my plan is solid but am not stuck on any certain brand.

Suggestions are welcome.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com