Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

IFS decision help

I hope this isnt a stupid newbie question. Im sorry if it is.

I have been trying to decide on what to do with the IFS on Isaacs truck. The short story is, I bought a cheap helix kit before I knew what it was, and installed it. After getting the truck about 95% done, I realized there were too many issues with the IFS to continue. With regret, my wife and I decided to go back and fix everything. The truck is soon coming back apart, so I am planning and gathering parts for the winter thrash.

The decision comes in with the IFS. Im going to remove the helix kit, at least all of the parts except the cross member. I havent decided yet. I was going to get the Paul Horton welder series mustang 2, and replace the china crap outright. Then a thought occurred to me....What if I replaced the MII spindles with custom spindle and hubs? The biggest gripe I have with the mustang 2 is the spindle. It messes with offset, and forces me to use an 1-1/2" spacer. The truck will never be raced. Its going to be a cruiser that might one day get autocrossed by an old guy who cant drive. Its going to have an easy life.

I dont have the budget for all out race components. But I dont want to put cheap junk on either. So, Im asking you all who know suspensions, and have done this...is it worth the trouble to make spindles with hubs, or should I just suck it up and use the MII stuff?

Country Flag: United States
      Have you actually looked into using Crown Vic crossmember and suspension. The newer versions with aluminum parts are light, easy to mock in and many truck enthusiast love them for handling. And you can source COP CAR brakes and such. Also don't over look 88-94? thunderbird/Cougar rear IRS it narrows easily, and can be had with 8.8 heavy duty rearend. And if you plan accordingly you can add eccentric cams to rear adjustments and make alignment a snap.
      Good luck. Also don't look past adapting in a GM front Subframe as you can upgrade to C6-up huge Corvette brakes then with Speedtech ATS spindles OR talk to Kore3 about adapting C6 stuff to Say Camaro style front brakes. Ad sub. If your pulling it apart, starting with easy to replace parts like big GM/Corvette brakes. And as for IFS the 8.8 has literally dozens of parts makers. Only issue might be hd a Le stubs but if not racing I'd bet Moser could whip something up and several companies build HD driveshafts I'd say they should be able to accommodate that rearend style if you talk to right people.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com