Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by mikedc View Post
      Does the 6spd auto feel a lot different from a 3 or 4 spd auto? That trans must be heavy. And I feel like an automatic doesn't benefit from more gears as much as a manual does. At least not in the street-cruiser sense.

The OEMs keep piling on the extra gears but I think some of that is for looking good on paper. Gaming the federal MPG testing, and putting up impressive numbers in car magazine tests. (I mean, 8-speed automatics? Really?)
      Quote Originally Posted by 67-LS1 View Post
      The 6 speed does feel a lot different than a 3 or 4 speed. The engine does not need to pull as high in each gear so it stays in the more efficient operating zone. It’s actually quite nice.
      But I get what you mean about piling on gears. At some point what is to many.
      The transmissions weigh in within about 100lbs or so of each other, and the newer ones are coming in lighter and lighter while being able to handle more torque and more towing weight. On the GM side I've driven everything from a 6 speed on down, as well as a Dodge 8 speed, and the 8 speed IMO is as far as is needed. Supposedly the 10 speed is even better, but a couple of the gear drops (I don't recall which) seemed like they did too little to be worthwhile. The 8 speed in my 5.7L Durango lets me get around 19MPG combined, and it scoots down the road pretty quick considering it weighs over 5600lbs with me in it. When my foot's in it, the RPM drops are less than 1000RPM. Personally, I like the gearing on the ZF 8 speed transmissions better than the GM 8 speeds, but I can't see how to use a ZF trans with a GM engine and I'm using a GM engine on mine, with the ECM/TCM controlling the transmission. I want the shift torque reduction that the factory ECMs can provide.

2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Im on my 1st build still, but the one thing I had to have was a period correct-ish engine so I went with 351c. However I did go with fuel injection, itbs, twin turbos. I'm still working out all the kinks but I would take this engine over every other engine except the voodoo 5.2. That is a modern engine worth having especially with itbs.

Country Flag: United States
      I regret not doing it sooner. LOL
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

No regrets whatsoever. Swapped an LS1/T56 into my 69' Camaro and it's night and day - will never go back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com