Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Gen 5 LT5 / T56 Clutch choice

I'm considering RAM 900 or Pro Street series, McLeod RST or RXT, Tilton ST-246 clutches (but open to others) for my build Gen5 LT5 with T56 Magnum close ratio, need input. 3.70 gears, 25.9 tires (335/30/18s). The engine will be stock except headers so figure around 750 ft*lbs of torque. Spirited road driving, with a few trips to the Drag strip and auto cross. Not a daily driver but figure a few thousand miles a year. It would be nice to be able to throw some sticky tires on for the track, but not sure I will end up doing that. I want to avoid the rattles associated with dual clutches at low RPMs idle and under load below 2000 rpm if possible. Also would like to have decent street drivability. Would like to have a lightened flywheel for quicker revs too, and I realize too light compromises street driveability. So what's the thinking on a good clutch/flywheel choice all that considered.

Just give Mcleod a call and talk to them. They know their stuff and have worked with us on a land speed car. Tell them what you have and they will tell you what you need, not a bunch of opinions from nice folks on the interweb. https://www.mcleodracing.com

ST-246 with their 6000 series TOB.....best performance street clutch on the market today IMO based on race shop track performance that have installed several now and put them thru abuse and personal experience.
      '69 Camaro RS/SS "Mercury Rising"

for more build pics - Instagram @cfxlr8

Quote Originally Posted by oleyeller View Post
      Just give Mcleod a call and talk to them. They know their stuff and have worked with us on a land speed car. Tell them what you have and they will tell you what you need, not a bunch of opinions from nice folks on the interweb. https://www.mcleodracing.com
      I think all 3 companies can find something that works for me in their line up, they all have solid products. I am also interested in peoples thoughts on things like making noise and driveability based on their experience too which is why I'm asking here.

Quote Originally Posted by fun2run View Post
      ST-246 with their 6000 series TOB.....best performance street clutch on the market today IMO based on race shop track performance that have installed several now and put them thru abuse and personal experience.
      Have you found the ST-246 to be quiet at idle, no rattles/noise echoing from the transmission? Also at lower RPM under load no rattles? I haven't been able to find the 6000 series TOB in stock anywhere recently but they are supposed to be available by the end of the month.

No noises that I have heard. It has isolator straps like the DYAD has. Now you have noises from the trans like the T56 mag that I have when in neutral with the clutch disengaged but that is coming from the input shaft rattling the shift forks or other internals which can be normal especially for a race prepped one like mine.
      '69 Camaro RS/SS "Mercury Rising"

for more build pics - Instagram @cfxlr8

Quote Originally Posted by fun2run View Post
      No noises that I have heard. It has isolator straps like the DYAD has. Now you have noises from the trans like the T56 mag that I have when in neutral with the clutch disengaged but that is coming from the input shaft rattling the shift forks or other internals which can be normal especially for a race prepped one like mine.
      Thanks, that's what I wanted to know, very helpful

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com