Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

VA or Classic Auto Air...what to buy

Hi Everyone,

Getting ready for my winter AC project. The car is a 69 camaro convertible BB. Looking for the best system..Cooling capacity and ease of installation...THis is not a show car, so hiding lines is not a concern and it seems the CA setup eliminates having to remove the fender etc...

Looking for feedback on which way to go...Cost differences are really insignificant, not a factor. Here in PA, if I can get delivery by XMas, I have the winter to do the install...Both systems seem available in 8-10 weeks..so lead time is not a factor..

Thanks,
      JR

There's also RestoMod Air which I just installed in my wagon. Really well made stuff.
      Tracey

Thanks, another option....Looking for feedback, positive and neg.

JR

I have installed 20+ VA systems. Never an issue. Ryan the VP of engineering is active on this site and is responsive and helpful.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by viperman View Post
      Thanks, another option....Looking for feedback, positive and neg.

JR
      Well Classic Auto Air is the parent company of Restomod Air. CAA is more the stock appearing systems while RA leans towards the more custom look although they do have a selection of stock appearing setups for some select cars.

Vintage Air has been around for a long time, I installed a system in a 71 Camaro in '97. It was a well made system and worked fine. When it was time for me to look at putting a/c in my wagon VA was the first place I looked. I know they have made upgrades to their products through the years but the first thing I saw was their controls had the same designs as back in '97. Sure they can stick with what works but it also stood out to me as "dated". Their vent choices are limited also and didn't fit what I was looking for.
      That said, I'm NOT saying that VA still doesn't make a fine product but it didn't "fit" the look I was after. It may be exactly what you want.
      Tracey

Can't go wrong

I have one of each, and they both work just fine. No problems with either one, customer service at CAA is great, but mostly by phone where VA has a huge dealership network so stuff is available local depending on where you are. CAA has shipped stuff to me in a couple of days.... Both are great units. IMO

I’m happy with my VA system, it works like it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsaints1115 View Post
      There's also RestoMod Air which I just installed in my wagon. Really well made stuff.
      Agree here! The quality difference between VA and RestoMod Air is definitely different. I needed a specific size condenser that I wasn't able to get from VA. I decided to give RA a try and couldn't believe how much better theirs was compared to the cheap chinese VA unit. The VA one was painted, not perfectly square and did not lay flat if you laid it on a table. It was warped. An earlier system in another car was not quite as bad other than the paint. It also did not lay completely flat. The RA unit was powder coated, not warped and looked perfect. The unit looked much better made overall.

A buddy has an RA system in his truck, but it's still in the build process so I'm not sure how it will work. I don't recall him saying anything about issues during install.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

Country Flag: Canada
      Ive had a few issues with the VA systems, bad connections caused me some infuriating scenarios ... VA didn't believe me until we pulled it apart and showed them

Switched to Restomod Air for my next build and as stated above ... they're stuff makes VA look CHEAP

Cheers
      Steve
      Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com