Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

Anyone running a Power Distritbution Module for the chassis harness?

I'm going to be rewiring my '64 Corvette this winter, and I've been doing a lot of research into some of these solid state PDM/PMUs. Generally they're only meant for race cars due to their minimalist nature, but I've drawn out the circuits in my car and both the ECUMaster PMU16 and the RyWire P14 PDM will more than cover the very basic electrical system in my car.

Neither is cheap, but a very simple, clean electrical system devoid of fuses, relays, etc. is very appealing....especially in my relatively small Corvette. I'm also interested in going this route just for the learning experience. I've messed around with the software already, and assuming you pin all your connectors properly, its all relatively intuitive. The other up side is that individual circuits are infinitely configurable....if the electric fan sees an initial inrush of 20 amps, but stabilizes at 7, you can set the circuit to ignore the 2 seconds of inrush and set your fuse to trip at 10 or 15 amps. Another cool feature is the ability to configure functions which cover multiple outputs via one input. For instance, you open the drivers door and the door switch grounds, which tells the PMU to send power to the dome light....AND power to prime the fuel pump. This way, you dont need to put the key to ACC and wait 2-3 second before turning it. By the time you sit down and buckle up, she's ready to fire. Lots of neat little features you can mess with...and once its all wired, you can change what input is associated with an output just via the software.

I suppose the downside to the set up is that if the module were to fry, theres no capability for a side of the road fix. That being said, these were all designed for motorsports applications, so I would imagine the reliability is a good, if not better than your standard aftermarket fuse/relay block. The other negative is you need a lap top on you to monitor the system, but that is the same for any ECU these days.

Anyway, just looking for input from anyone that's used one of these systems.
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com