Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Does a Roll cage always force the body to be non-removable?

I understand that body on frame cars require a NHRA certified 10 point roll cage to be attached to the frame (as opposed to unmodified unibody cars where a plate can be welded on). I also understand that if the frame rails exist within the footprint of the seat then outriggers or a sill plate/tube is required outside of the seat footprint so that the cage has somewhere to terminate to when passing through the floor of the body.

My question is: Is it allowable to have the cage removable along with the body from the vehicle frame? This could be done with bolting. Would this arrangement still be certifiable? Or does the inclusion of a cage eliminate the removability of the body for good? For reference I'm considering a 55' Chevy for this application (frame rails within the foot print of the front seats) and looking to eventually have a certified 10 point cage.

Also, I'm new here. Please let me know if this is not the best place to ask this question.

Country Flag: United States
      A lot of your questions depend on what class you plan on running and what the max ET will be. If you can fill in the blanks I will look at the NHRA rule book and try to help with your questions.
      Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by WOLF1732 View Post
      A lot of your questions depend on what class you plan on running and what the max ET will be. If you can fill in the blanks I will look at the NHRA rule book and try to help with your questions.
      Wolf
      Thank you WOLF1732. I'd like be certified to run 8.50 and slower while keeping the car road legal. I'll have to do some research on the different classes.

Country Flag: Canada
      Im curious why would you want to have that option to take the car off the frame after you install a cage ?
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      Im curious why would you want to have that option to take the car off the frame after you install a cage ?
      Im the perfect example of this.

Put a 10 point cage in my full frame car, through the floor to the frame. Certified to 8.5s per NHRA book. Raced the car for 6 years. Body never came off the car in its life as it wasn't a topic for me. Now Id like to pull the body, brace the frame nicer, do some notching, couple modifications and finally coat the frame. Now I have to cut the cage out to do that. lifting the body is not possible as the cage is also welded to the floor where the cage passes through to land on the frame.
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com