Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

9" Ford in First Gen F-Body

Hello all, I'm a newbie here. I hope that I'm posting in the correct location for this question.

I'm getting ready to order a new complete ford 9" rear for my first gen F-body. I'm headed down a path that I have little practical experence with. I've come close to placing an order for a complete rear and then realized while reviewing my quote that the axle legths are going to be different lengths. As I now understand it, the pinion is slightly offset and so as to get the drive shaft in-line with the engine/transmission, the rear housing has to be slighly off center. I belive it will be roughly 2-3 inches to one side. My understanding is that if I ask them to build it with equal length axles that I would then have undesirable angles in the drive line and would put the pinion end of the drive shaft even closer to the tunnel which under heavy excursions could cause some problems. I'm guessing the only way to solve that would be to reposition the motor/trans which I'm not interested in doing.

I guess what I'm asking here is if this sound accurate to you all who have more experience in the matter?

I know I have seen first gen F-bodies with ford rears before but I had never noticed that they were slighly off center. Now that I've become aware of this, I'm searching the web for better photos. If you have any it surely would be great to see them.

Thank you all for consdering my questions.

Country Flag: United States
      Who are you planning to order from? I have a Currie 9" in my '69. It was easy to get the right one. Just call and ask. Any of the reputable companies will know exactly what you need. Besides gear ratio and style of limited slip, the only "difficult" question they asked was if I wanted stock width or narrowed.
      Matt H.

I'm looking at Currie, wavetrac, 3.50 gears, stock width. I was reviewing their quote and noted the axles were different lengths by a couple inches. I don't have a great deal of knowledge of the ford unit it just struck me as being a little odd. I was hoping someone could confirm this is normal/customary when putting one into a first gen f-body.

Thank you.
      522 cubic inches of sonic delight

It’s normal.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thank you.

522 cubic inches of sonic delight

How noisy are your Ford 9" rear ends? Ive heard different things.

I’ve never bothered to check if my Currie 9” pinion yoke is centered in the tunnel. You’d think they would be, as I don’t see why they’d want to introduce compound angles into the u-joints if not needed.
      Andy

1967 Camaro RS
      Magnacharged LS1/T56
      543 rwhp, 516 rwtq
      Sold

1968 Firebird
      LS427/570 and T56 Magnum

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com