Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

64 Nova 11" braking performance question

My project is not running yet, LOL. Just wondering if anyone has tried the following brake package on a comparable car.
      64 Chevy II, weight #3000
      LS3/T56 trans
      Wilwood manual master cylinder
      11" drilled and slotted single piston Speedway front disc brake kit
      11" rear Explorer factory disc, 8.8 rear end
      18x8" 245mm front Firehawk Indy 500 tire
      18x9.5" 275mm rear Indy 500 tire

Am possibly looking to upgrade to a 13" C5 brake package

Name:  20210908_163544 (1).jpg
Views: 221
Size:  347.0 KB

A number of years ago I read some tech article about the Explorer rear discs. The pistons in the rear calipers are quite large. May cause premature lock up even with an adjustable prop valve. I've used the C5 13" brakes a number of times with great success.
      Call Tobin at KORE3 for expert advice.

Country Flag: United States
      Looks like you have D52 calipers up front. I’m attempting manual brakes with those calipers and 12” GM rotors. I was recommended Hawk HP+ pad compound for the manual brakes for better bite. My advice is to run what you have and modify after running/driving experience. Changing mid-build really drives up costs and prolongs time before you drive the project.

Thanks for the inputs. Dang, those Hawk pads cost a pretty penny!!!

I have stock single piston gm discs (11 inch)all around on my 64 with cheap brake pads. The car will put you though the windshield. Anything more than that will just be better.
      Tim

67 Camaro RS

64 Nova SS

Yeah the D52's generate great numbers. The OEM single piston caliper has 6.77 in2. Wilwood makes an aluminum dual piston caliper that has nearly the same area at 6.28in2. I ran the OE and later the Wilwood D52s with an 11'' rotor (the kit from CPP) for years with the BP20 pad and 1.125'' MC. Stopping power was great. Eventaully I realized I wanted ot be able to track this thing and began worrying about overheating. Routing air to the rotors in an A body requires quite a bit of frame mods to get anything decent(if anyone objects to this please show me the way).

So I converted to the Kore3 hubs that use the 14'' Z06 rotor and Aero6 caliper. This was solely higher thermal mass, not better stopping. In fact I think all else being equal I only increase brake toque numbers by about 8%. With all the things going on, I have yet to get back to the track and see if I can handle a full 20 minute session during illinois summers.

All in all, I think your setup is great(especially at 3000lbs). Like jonothanar95 and the others were saying, I think the setup you have will be good. If you need more stopping power on the track, aggressive pads are the way. If it's more street stopping power, you want a pad with higher coef @ lower temps. Master cylinder diameter can also help dial in more torque numbers if your okay with extra pedal travel(think about heel toe and such).

Hope this helps.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com