Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

First Gen engine mount adapters

Hey guys….been out of the loop for a while. What are the best options these days for engine mount adapters to put an LS3 into a 68 Firebird? The plan is to use a TKX transmission if that matters.

Andy

1967 Camaro RS
      Magnacharged LS1/T56
      543 rwhp, 516 rwtq
      Sold

1968 Firebird
      LS427/570 and T56 Magnum

Country Flag: United States
      Holley.
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I was looking at Holley, but found they don’t offer anything to work with a TKX. I did see that they have a complete setup that’s supposed to work with a T56 Magnum without any tunnel mods, so maybe I’ll go that direction instead. The gearing is a little nicer on the Magnum vs the TKX.
      Andy

1967 Camaro RS
      Magnacharged LS1/T56
      543 rwhp, 516 rwtq
      Sold

1968 Firebird
      LS427/570 and T56 Magnum

I'd definitely mod the tunnel if you're going with a T56, it's not worth cutting that corner to save time.

You'll just end up limiting yourself trying to get the best driveline angle, especially if your car is low with the rear end tuck up under the car.

my buddies 68 firebird with T56 no tunnel mod sits too high in the back due to a stock tunnel and limited space above the T56.

Even with a TKO on My 68 Camaro the trans vent is right on the tunnel. my car is pretty low and I just barely got a good working driveline angle,
      I wish I would have just modded the tunnel anyway, even with the TKO.

Interesting. Holley claims their kit has the recommended 3-3.5 degrees of angle . The car has 3” drop DSE leafs on it, and it actually might be lower than I’d like. I know the 6 speeds are tight on these cars, but I don’t think the driveline angle will be an issue at my ride height. At least I hope not, haha.

The TKX is supposed to be smaller than the TKO, which is why I was leaning that way. I’m sure I can find a crossmember that’ll work with it and the Holley engine mounts.

Decisions, decisions. I really don’t need the extra gear of the 6 speed if there are going to be complications. I’d rather not cut up the tunnel if possible.
      Andy

1967 Camaro RS
      Magnacharged LS1/T56
      543 rwhp, 516 rwtq
      Sold

1968 Firebird
      LS427/570 and T56 Magnum

Oops… double post
      Andy

1967 Camaro RS
      Magnacharged LS1/T56
      543 rwhp, 516 rwtq
      Sold

1968 Firebird
      LS427/570 and T56 Magnum

No tunnel mods needed with Holley in a first gen. My only suggestion would be to cut a big enough shifter hole to enable the shifter to be removed from the inside. Otherwise you will be lowering the trans down to remove it.

Exhaust is tucked up and fits nicely.
      Tim

67 Camaro RS

64 Nova SS

Plenty of crossmember choices that should work with TKX, its lighter, smaller and cheaper than T56 if it fits your needs

I should maybe start another thread for this, as we’re heading more towards a transmission discussion. On that note, I’m also trying to figure out the best option for clutch hydraulics. ATS (no longer in business) used to sell a nice bolt in clutch master setup that used a 4th Gen Camaro slave cylinder, which made for a very easy and reliable install with a T56. I’m guessing this same setup would work with a Magnum, but not the TKX.

Any suggestions on hydraulics with the Magnum or TKX?
      Andy

1967 Camaro RS
      Magnacharged LS1/T56
      543 rwhp, 516 rwtq
      Sold

1968 Firebird
      LS427/570 and T56 Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by streetk14 View Post
      I should maybe start another thread for this, as we’re heading more towards a transmission discussion. On that note, I’m also trying to figure out the best option for clutch hydraulics. ATS (no longer in business) used to sell a nice bolt in clutch master setup that used a 4th Gen Camaro slave cylinder, which made for a very easy and reliable install with a T56. I’m guessing this same setup would work with a Magnum, but not the TKX.

Any suggestions on hydraulics with the Magnum or TKX?
      I bought it my T56 from schwartz performance. Dale was great to work with and super knowledgeable. I purchased it by with a Bowler transmission clutch conversion kit. Had everything needed in box. Bracket, hydraulic slave, fittings etc. Indie nkt like fully the location of the hole in the bracket. It had my clutch slave push rod rubbing the firewall. So I sliced the bracket, moved the lower half over towards the passenger side 1/2" and took about 3/8" out to move hole up the firewall. Now it is center in the firewall factory hole. It still looks the same as purchased just moved alittle for my situation is
      Jason
      Jason's 67 Pro touring Camaro build thread
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com