Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Surface prep on old chrome

Anyone ever surface prep old chrome parts for paint? I知 going to paint these tail light bezels on my 68 but the chrome has a little corrosion under it and is lifting up in areas. I briefly tried to wire wheel and sand the raised areas but that chrome is hard so I need some recommendations.

This is also my second set of bezels. The first ones were dipped in hydrochloric acid and the chrome stayed intact by the aluminum dissolved away. I壇 rather not try this again and I知 looking to get it done at home too. Maybe I値l tackle it again with a sander but I知 open to suggestionsName:  5DBCE166-4263-48C6-B7E8-D396D8D14084.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  308.9 KB

That falls into a "Let the pros do it" category for reasons as you've found out.
      Tracey

Get it powder coated. It’ll cost maybe $50. They will sand blast it to prep then powder coat it. Way more durable than paint

I just blasted it and it knocked down the high spots and revealed small outs underneath that will require a filler. I’ll prep and paint now.

I’m not too worried about powder coating. I’d rather paint it myself. I got the good stuff.

Country Flag: United States
      Last time I had a slightly sun beat chrome bumper blasted & powdercoated, all the slight crack marks from the sun, etc all bled through later. The chrome wasn't really much more than scuffed from blasting apparently.

I'd sand it with silicone carbide or zirconia sandpaper, hit it with a few coats of epoxy, such as SPI, then start filling & sanding & re-epoxy. I know with the SPI epoxy it builds strength in thickness. Also can put mixed product into sealed container & use again 2 to 3 days later.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com