Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Noise/possible vibration at approx 55 miles per hour......ideas?

Hi guys,

I have a 68 Camaro - running full ridetech suspension (4-link coilovers and control arms).
      Has a rebuilt 700R4 transmission, that was shop fitted, along with shortened driveshaft to suit.
      Diff is a 12bolt, also rebuilt at proper shop. Has been done twice in fact, at two different shops.

Given the project has gone on so long, my memory may not be perfect, but will give you the run-down of my recollection of the sequence of events.

Soooo.....

I am currently getting a noise from the rear of the car.

At around 55 miles per hour on the freeway, I accelerate, then take my foot of the gas a little, and I get a sound, seems like a vibration noise, coming from the rear end. The same sound is not evident at slower speeds, more so at freeway speeds, more pronounced when I step off the gas. Suburban street speeds I still get some diff noise (unfortunately there is a whine from the new gearset), but it is nothing like the freeway noise. Seems the freeway noise is different to "gear whine".

As I said, had by diff built twice. First guy I did not trust had done right things. Diff was presenting as noisy, I was not happy with it. Long story. Thought noise was all related to a bad diff build, bad gears etc (some of it was) but given it has been done twice, and this noise still persists....clearly something else.

I "think" sometime during the 1st diff build, I upgraded my heim ends to the ridetech R-Joints. Now what I am not 100% sure about is if the noise started happening after the R-joints were fitted, or if it was present before. So many changes happening to the car, so many rattles and noises getting sorted....all blurs in my memory a bit. Plus it was not getting driven as much, so not 100% on the when the worst of the noise started.

So....

- Does anyone have any issues with rear end noise with R-joints fitted? I am wondering if their design lacks some noise isolation qualities? Or maybe could produce a noise at speed like mine is doing?

- Anyone else experienced a noise like this? Sounds like a vibration noise, but only at speed and more pronounced on deceleration. If I did not have new gears, I would honestly think it was some sort of mesh noise from really old, loose ring and pinion.

- Everything at the back of the car seems tight. Drive shaft - cant see any play. Maybe it needs re-balancing, but would have though driveshaft wobble noise would present differently?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
      Shanan

Country Flag: United States
      Have you checked your driveline angles? Tremec has an app:

https://www.tremec.com/menu/tremec-toolbox-app/

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Are you getting vibration or just noise?
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

Pinion Angle is the first thing that comes to mind

Check the balance on the driveshaft also.
      Tracey

Thanks for the responses guys. As far as vibration, it is not like the car is shaking, but the noise, pretty sure it is vibration based. I will check the driveshaft angles this weekend.

Check the U-joints on the driveshaft while you're at it. I used to have a Tahoe that would blow a U-joint every year. When it started vibrating, time for a swap. Problem was the U-joints I was using had a grease zerk drilled into the body, and being a heavy vehicle with a driver with a heavy foot, it would develop a crack. Solved the problem permanently by using U-joints with the grease zerk in an end cap instead. As I recall (been a few years now) the crack looks like a line starting on one side of the zerk.

2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com