Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Your thoughts on Roadster Shop

Once I finish my Camaro I would like to make some changes to my 67 C10. I am curious to hear some experienced guys opinion on Roadster Shop chassis setups. They appear to be nicely fabricated but how about the actual performance? For my truck they offer 3 chassis with the Fast Attack being the top of the line. With that chassis I would most likely choose the 3-link rear option. I have never seen one of their chassis in person. I have seen a couple autocross videos of their chassis on different vehicles where they were wallowing around like a beached whale but they could have simply been setup poorly...

Country Flag: United States
      I have a friend that has been working there like 10 years. He has worked on Indy, Drag and LeMans type Corvette race cars in the past. I don’t have experience myself but their products look very nice and don’t appear to be a joke.

Also, keep in mind a lot of the domestic (Ford, GM, etc.) stock suspension systems from the late 60's and newer can perform very well with basic bolt-on parts. I know a lot of the link and fancy suspension is nice but, often times, suspension setup and tuning is most important. Don't be afraid to use what you have. Nascar used that 60's-70's steering box forever and a day but they're finally switching to rack steering on the new Next Gen Cup Car.

Define performance.

Define your intended use.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Will be a daily driver street truck. Low ride height and fairly comfortable ride are important to me. The truck will never see an open track but could see some autocross. I realize that I do not "need" a high dollar full chassis setup for this use. I do need the aftermarket front crossmember setup to gain ground clearance to allow a lower ride height. By the time I buy all that and get a rear suspension setup and notch the frame for some compression travel I feel like I might as well just get a complete chassis setup. From my experience a chassis with good geometry can get away with a softer spring package (for ride quality) & still handle pretty well. The vendor having a very well sorted out shock package is important to me as well as I hate valving shocks. I am looking for a frame height of about 6" off the ground.

Chassis options that I know of & my thoughts on each (right or wrong):
      TCI- Provides a 4.5" frame height which is too low for my use. They also seem like they were throwing darts at the design of this with their shock mount revisions and talk of needing to re-do their spindle design.
      No-Limit- Reasonable choice, don't care for the packed bearing front spindle & honestly as a guy who spends a lot of his time doing CAD designs the hand sketched design drawings turn me off.
      ACME- Don't care for the wishbone rear suspension
      Roadster Shop- I believe the frame tucks closer to the cab to allow a lower ride height. Can get a 3-Link rear. With the fast Attack can get a spindle with bolt-in hub. Expensive.
      Schwartz- Don't know much about this option.

The FastTrack chassis would be perfect for that. My only complaint is the bushings they use in the 3 or 4 link. The front suspension is very similar to the DSE front clip on your Camaro. (Anyone remember when DSE clips were on the FastTrack chassis?) Anything that packages under a stock bed floor is going to be travel limited with a low ride height.

I assume you saw the DSE front suspension that was just released for square bodies, it's only a matter of time before the 67-72 C10s are covered.
      Donny

I had not seen that square body DSE setup. That will be an option for me to keep an eye open for. I agree about having to raise the bed floor. That is actually the part that I am dreading. This is a fully painted steel bed floor truck... Since I do use this as my typical transportation vehicle I will probably do the bed first just to get that out of the way.

Have you looked into the RS Spec chassis?

I have many of the same questions as you, as well as likely use. I am hoping the RS Spec can offer this as well as some fun (limited track days). I do think the Fast Track is a much better frame, but it is also double the cost.

I'll add on here. There is no way I would strap a 29" tire to a Mustang II spindle and do a track day. You mentioned autox in your other thread, that's a slightly less violent event and would be the most I would push a Spec chassis.
      Donny

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      I'll add on here. There is no way I would strap a 29" tire to a Mustang II spindle and do a track day. You mentioned autox in your other thread, that's a slightly less violent event and would be the most I would push a Spec chassis.
      I think this goes to show that there is no free lunch. There has to be some significant cost trade offs on the Spec chassis to come in at that price point versus the Fastrack.

Thanks,
      Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by Coursey View Post
      Have you looked into the RS Spec chassis?

I have many of the same questions as you, as well as likely use. I am hoping the RS Spec can offer this as well as some fun (limited track days). I do think the Fast Track is a much better frame, but it is also double the cost.
      I have looked at that chassis and honestly it would probably do great for me. I am starting to think of going cheap and doing the no limit stuff on my stock frame

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I think this goes to show that there is no free lunch. There has to be some significant cost trade offs on the Spec chassis to come in at that price point versus the Fastrack.

Thanks,
      Don
      Exactly, everything is a compromise. These cars and trucks we build are a culmination of compromises and if you want one with out any compromise it compromises your wallet.........and you are still trading something. Speed for comfort, reliability for cost, sticky tires for stone chips, etc.
      Donny

I did contact DSE as well & they plan to release their setup for the 67-72 by the end of the year. I wouldn't think it will have a ride height anywhere near what you want though Coursey.

Have you never looked at Ridetech? They have some great parts and several people have pushed serious performance from their stuff.
      I built a bolt on 4 link (except for weld on axle brackets) from thier parallel 4 link and bolted it right where the stick leaf perches bolted on.
      Just using the lower arms and installing a new cross member and a centered 3rd link and either panhard bar or watts link should be easy.
      Honestly if your gonna turn and burn you may want TQ three way shocks/coilovers BUT for ride AND performance don't undercut a good air ride system. Before he retired Bret pushed air ride to the track and proved it to be a viable option many times.
      And Ridetech still offers top notch parts and services.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com